cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair x670e Extreme - Before I RMA has anyone got the RAID to work right on SATA

decimus28
Level 10
Just wanted to know if anyone has gotten the RAIDXpert2 raid to work right for SATA drives on Windows 11 Pro before I RMA the board. By work I mean not go offline when the computer sleeps. I've done a lot of frustrating troubleshooting and I cannot get it to work correctly. I would love to know what HDD and drivers work for others. Especially if someone has gotten Exos 18TB or IronWolf Pro 18TB to work.
2 REPLIES 2

Murph_9000
Level 14
I had a brief play with RAIDXpert2 on the Crosshair VIII Extreme (X570S) on Windows 11 Pro, before deciding that it didn't look much like a reliable product (the AMD software part of it). I've got decades of experience with all sorts of hardware and software RAID, and I just didn't feel confident in relying on it. I also played around with old school Windows NT striping and mirroring a bit, before deciding to go with the modern Windows Storage Spaces. There's pros and cons with Storage Spaces, but I satisfied myself that it wasn't terribly likely to either just dump my data or be a constant admin headache; a few months later, it has been trouble free and I'm fairly happy with it. The basic Windows 11 Pro Storage Spaces UI is just the tip of a much bigger iceberg, there's a lot of additional functionality available via PowerShell.

I've got a mix of Seagate Firecuda SATA SSD and HDD happily running under Storage Spaces.

decimus28
Level 10
Thanks, I think I might try storage spaces for my data and maybe a Thunderbolt DAS like terramaster for my older games. It just really bums me out that I can't get the SATA raid to work with this board. The NVME m.2 work fine as RAID 0.