cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z790 hero not working with all my memory (bios 703)

tranle__
Level 7
I just got a new Maximus Z790 Hero and I was trying to use some DDR5 from my old Z690 motherboard:
- ADATA 16GB DDR5 4800 U-DIMM CL40 Desktop Memory Module - BULK PACKAGE AD5U480016G-B
- Crucial 64GB DDR5 4800 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 32GB) CRCT2K32G48C

also just upgrade to bios 703 and it will not boot, it seems to try for while the stop on with error code 55.

If I only use just one of the set like the ADATA or just the Crucial, then it works fine. The original bios was working fine with them.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Murph_9000
Level 14
Mixing different DIMMs can be problematic, as can more than 2 DIMMs in total (it's unclear if you were trying a 3 or 4 DIMM configuration). If you really need/want to go beyond 2x32, 4 matched DIMMs would give you the greatest chance of success, but may well require running them at reduced speed or looser timings. Currently, there are no validated 4 DIMM configs on the ROG Maximus Z790 Hero Memory QVL (the "socket support" column tells you how many DIMMs are in the validated config). Using parts from the QVL should also give the greatest chance of success.

Do they work ok with XMP disabled? XMP is overclocking, so adds to the complexity/difficulty.

Murph_9000 wrote:
Mixing different DIMMs can be problematic, as can more than 2 DIMMs in total (it's unclear if you were trying a 3 or 4 DIMM configuration). If you really need/want to go beyond 2x32, 4 matched DIMMs would give you the greatest chance of success, but may well require running them at reduced speed or looser timings. Currently, there are no validated 4 DIMM configs on the ROG Maximus Z790 Hero Memory QVL (the "socket support" column tells you how many DIMMs are in the validated config). Using parts from the QVL should also give the greatest chance of success.

Do they work ok with XMP disabled? XMP is overclocking, so adds to the complexity/difficulty.

Yes I know that it is impossible to overclock when, my configuration is:
- 2x16GB DDR5 4800
- 2x32GB DDR5 4800

at the minimum non-overclock or non-xmp it should be working, it was working with the original bios but not with the 703 version.
it should have worked in safe mode. I was using the memory as documented (maybe I read it wrong):
- dimm_A1: ADATA 16GB
- dimm_A2: Crucial 32GB
- dimm_B1: ADATA 16GB
- dimm_B2: Crucial 32GB
is that a supported configuration ? How do you force it to use non-xmp when it does not boot.

It could also be that my memory modules are not on the supported memory.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, tranle__.

Please ensure all memory modules are from a single validated kit. Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even if they are the same make and model. Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot and compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

Please refer to the link below to check the QVL list for the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

Thank you.