cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing issues with G series and Asus warranty policy

banshee343
Level 7
So I've had my G73 JH for 2 years now, within the first 10 minutes of using it I was lucky enough to have a faulty machine with the dreaded static noise issues, as well as the GSOD. Now i couldn't really be without a computer so I figured id wait for Asus to release bios/driver/firmware updates to correct these issues. Which for the GSOD they did(vBIOS).

Long story short after 2 years of checking periodically to see if they had a fix for the sound issue it seems the only fix is a motherboard replacement and as my warranty was finally running out I decided to get it repaired.

How ever about a year ago i spilt some liquid onto my machine which cause ZERO visible defects the machine still functioned perfectly for a year until today (Perfectly minus the static noise issue)

So long story short I send my laptop away and get told it's not covered by warranty because of liquid damage.... Even thou its a known issue and has been faulty from the get go...

Am I expecting too much here? If any other component failed because of liquid damage I'd quite happily pay to have it replaced/repaired but this motherboard was faulty from factory!!!

let me know what you think!
5 REPLIES 5

chrsplmr
Level 18
hmmmmmmmm ... Welcome Banshee343 .. to the ROG.

wow .. thats a tough one ... why did you wait? doesnt matter .. you did...
So... they had the machine .. said it wasnt covered .. where is the unit now?
did they offer to replace the board--for a price ?
its gotta be cheaper than new ...

sorry to hear this .. its not look'n good for ya ...
on a bright note .. the g75 is coming ...
may be time for an upgrade ... or just replace the board ... c.

I didn't want to be without my machine (i ended up buying a Asus UX31 Zenbook to use whilst it was away, regretting it ATM!)

They offered to replace the mainboard for $472 which I declined and they returned it to me via free courier which in the process the LCD was smashed but they have already agreed to replace that at least.

I know it was dumb to wait but it just doesn't make financial sense for me to pay nearly $500 for a component in a machine that sells second hand for about $700. Like I said It's actually quite usable, if you have something in the headphone jack you will never hear the painful noise and apart from that the machine works flawlessly(despite the liquid damage!).

I dunno I'm pretty disappointed... I've been a loyal Asus customer (motherboards, the G73, this zenbook I'm typing on... my transformer tablet) but if they wont fix this i'll struggle to bring myself to give them any more of my money! They probably made the $470 on the laptop when i bought it!

At the end of the day i purchased a faulty item, I just want the warranty honoured :(. Unless they are trying to tell me the liquid actually did cause damage and it JUST SO HAPPENS to have the exact same symptoms as a KNOWN fault and im trying to rip them off $500..........?

I think you were out of your mind to "just wait because I didn't want to be without a computer".
You pay $1,500 for something. It arrives defective. You don't want to send it back. So you just deal with it?
If I spend more then $50 on something and it arrives defective I send it back. I don't care what it is.

So you wait. You spill something on it. Now you send it in. How are they to know the water damage didn't cause your issue? Water can do funky things.

So. No offense my man, But yea... it was dumb to wait.

When I got my G53, the left arrow key didn't work. I called Asus. They asked me to send it in.
For an arrow key? That I rarely use? I thought about it. I absolutely would have sent it in. I spent $1,300 on that thing I want EVERYTHING working perfectly. I was bummed. I just spent 3 days installed all my games and getting it dialed in.
But I paid a lot of money for it, and wanted a PERFECT machine.
In the end, while on the phone, I looked up how to replace the kayb. Saw how easy it was. I just asked if they could send me a keyb and I would replace it. They did. But bottom line, if they had to have it back I would have sent it.
Over an arrow key....
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

dstrakele
Level 14
banshee343 wrote:
So I've had my G73 JH for 2 years now, within the first 10 minutes of using it I was lucky enough to have a faulty machine with the dreaded static noise issues, as well as the GSOD.

That's a very unfortunate story, @banshee. There is a lesson in it - know your retailer's exchange/return policy. If the machine has problems right out of the box that are not easily resolvable (i.e. performing a Factory Restore and/or browsing the internet to see if there is a known fix) - exchange it or take the refund. Don't let the retailer talk you into an RMA if you have the option to exchange/return it.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
banshee343 wrote:
Am I expecting too much here? If any other component failed because of liquid damage I'd quite happily pay to have it replaced/repaired but this motherboard was faulty from factory!!!

let me know what you think!

It's unfortunate, but yes....I think you are expecting too much. I don't think you can blame Asus for this....any manufacturer would likely have a similar reaction to this situation.