cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rtx 4090 crash - driver or hardware? .The description for Event ID 0 from source nvld

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hi. I have 12900K stock

32 GB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Asus Tuf rtx 4090

1300W Seasonic Platinum Prime

Aorus Elite DDR4 Z690

Windows 11 2H22. Updated new nvidia drivers.

I swapped from 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming to Rtx 4090 . Never had single crash in games,apps on 3090 ti. All was perfectly stable.

I am gettin occassional crashing during loading games. Watch Dogs Legion ( happened 2 times ) and Metro Exodus EE. Never in game, but in loading . Happen from time to time. Is my card fine? I have Asus Tuf rtx 4090.

Here are always that 2 errors during crash:
2 errors.

1.display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

2.The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

It happened on 3 versions of drivers i tried.
24 REPLIES 24

Nate152
Hello Ipiotrowski211

I used to get the "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" from overclocking.

Even though you may not be overclocking, try reducing the core clock 50MHz-100MHz and see if the error stops.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Ipiotrowski211

I used to get the "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" from overclocking.

Even though you may not be overclocking, try reducing the core clock 50MHz-100MHz and see if the error stops.

Regarding the idle black screen enabling the performance mode is the only way to have a stable card.
But we always have maximum voltages and frequencies.
That's why it works.
The defective chip fails to be stable under the low voltage of the idle state.
It's a workaround that shouldn't exist on a 2600 euro card.
It has to work perfectly out of the box.
The only solution is to RMA the card.
I had the same problem and wasted my time and money trying to fix it.
I sent the card to ASUS for assistance and they recognized the problem immediately without batting an eye.
They refunded me because they didn't have stock to replace.
I bought another 4090 Strix and it works perfectly.
Sadly there will be no magic drivers or special bios to fix a problem caused by a bad chip.
The card must work with all the drivers otherwise every update you have to rely on providence.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
But it happens on loading not in game. After win11 was idle few hours.

Nate152
I'm not sure about Gigabyte's motherboards but, in the bios try setting the pcie x16 lane for your gpu to Gen 4.

Nate152 wrote:
I'm not sure about Gigabyte's motherboards but, in the bios try setting the pcie x16 lane for your gpu to Gen 4.

i also have same problem with nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.When my PC is idle then screen start going black with nvlddmkm.I cannot take PCIe Gen 4 in BIOS because my mainboard is strix Hero Z390 AND 9900ks CPU.i have asus strix 4090 OC card.When i put prefer performance in nvidia control panel then driver dont crash but then my card is always in full speed mode and uses much watts when its idle.The crashing is only coming when i am idle like browing or watching youtube etc.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
But why on loading it can happen? Something with jumping clocks not stable ?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Please ensure VBIOS is updated to version V2.1 if not having done so already.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Please ensure VBIOS is updated to version V2.1 if not having done so already.

The bios was already updated to the latest version 2.1.
It is an operation done by all those who have this problem but it does not solve anything.
After being refunded I bought a new card and it works perfectly even with bios 1.0
The defective 4090 chip is not stable at the factory set frequency in idle.

Try setting your PCIe Slot to GEN3. It helped with my crashes after installing a 4080. GEN4 seems to be an issue with my mobo.