cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX 4090 OC - Restarts when idle and start to boost the fans to 100%

beryl
Level 8
i don't know if are the latest ASUS BIOS or the latest NVIDIA DRIVER, but i have my system working perfectly until these last weeks. When it's in idle, suddenly restarts with the fans at 100% and i have to turn off manually my computer.

The config, all with the lastest of the latest drivers, BIOS, and power cables perfectly fiitted:

ASUS EXTREME Z790
INTEL CORE 13900KF
ASUS OC ROG STRIX 4090
PSU CORSAIR AX1600i in perfect conditions...

anybody with the same problem?
9 REPLIES 9

kayawish24
Level 10
yes me too with my 4090 strix OC.when PC is idle mobitor will go black and come back with nvdia driver error.forums and reddit is full of these reports bus ASUS doing **** about that.when i select prefer max performance in nvidia control panal then no black screen at idle and all is perfect.look this :

https://www.overclock.net/threads/massive-rtx-4090-problems-driver-or-hardware.1801381/

kayawish24 wrote:
yes me too with my 4090 strix OC.when PC is idle mobitor will go black and come back with nvdia driver error.forums and reddit is full of these reports bus ASUS doing **** about that.when i select prefer max performance in nvidia control panal then no black screen at idle and all is perfect.look this :

https://www.overclock.net/threads/massive-rtx-4090-problems-driver-or-hardware.1801381/

First of all, may thanks kayawish24 for your answer and to show me "we are not alone" with this problem.

I've made all the changes that i've readed on forums but i think that is a massive hardware/software problem in all the 4090 series (not only in ASUS, ZOTAC or MSI have the same problem). The "most plaussible issue" it's that the new drivers or the latests BIOS, uses very, very low voltage on idle (as low as the gpu stops and their fans, the GPU stops to protect "itself" from heat and restarts in a "hard desperate reset or 100% boost of their fans in the reboot to try to cold the circuit for any possible damage caused by the supposed heat".

Another curious thing is that these issues, happens or have been going on for about 4 or 5 weeks... previously, or at least the first and second month the situation was completely stable.

I don't understand why ASUS, NVIIDIA and the other companies are not making a a joint statement and an investigation... it's very expensive hardware and i think that customers are not being "catered fairly".

Hey ASUS ADMINS or MODERATORS, could you help us to give this problem to the engineers?, i think that there will be a lot of unnecessary RMAs because the voltage curve or something had changed during last months.

beryl wrote:
First of all, may thanks kayawish24 for your answer and to show me "we are not alone" with this problem.

I've made all the changes that i've readed on forums but i think that is a massive hardware/software problem in all the 4090 series (not only in ASUS, ZOTAC or MSI have the same problem). The "most plaussible issue" it's that the new drivers or the latests BIOS, uses very, very low voltage on idle (as low as the gpu stops and their fans, the GPU stops to protect "itself" from heat and restarts in a "hard desperate reset or 100% boost of their fans in the reboot to try to cold the circuit for any possible damage caused by the supposed heat".

Another curious thing is that these issues, happens or have been going on for about 4 or 5 weeks... previously, or at least the first and second month the situation was completely stable.

I don't understand why ASUS, NVIIDIA and the other companies are not making a a joint statement and an investigation... it's very expensive hardware and i think that customers are not being "catered fairly".

Hey ASUS ADMINS or MODERATORS, could you help us to give this problem to the engineers?, i think that there will be a lot of unnecessary RMAs because the voltage curve or something had changed during last months.

As i said in another thread regarding the idle black screen enabling the performance mode means always having the card with maximum voltages and frequencies.
That's why it works.
The defective chip fails to be stable under the low voltage of the idle state.
It's a workaround that shouldn't exist on a 2600 euro card.
It has to work perfectly out of the box.
The only solution is to RMA the card.
I had the same problem as you and wasted my time and money trying to fix it.
I sent the card to ASUS for assistance and they recognized the problem immediately without batting an eye.
They refunded me because they didn't have stock to replace.
If you want I have the serial number of the defective card that can prove it.
I bought another 4090 Strix and it works perfectly.
Sadly there will be no magic drivers or special bios to fix a problem caused by a bad chip.
The card must work with all the drivers otherwise every update you have to rely on providence.

Andre221183 wrote:
As i said in another thread regarding the idle black screen enabling the performance mode means always having the card with maximum voltages and frequencies.
That's why it works.
The defective chip fails to be stable under the low voltage of the idle state.
It's a workaround that shouldn't exist on a 2600 euro card.
It has to work perfectly out of the box.
The only solution is to RMA the card.
I had the same problem as you and wasted my time and money trying to fix it.
I sent the card to ASUS for assistance and they recognized the problem immediately without batting an eye.
They refunded me because they didn't have stock to replace.
If you want I have the serial number of the defective card that can prove it.
I bought another 4090 Strix and it works perfectly.
Sadly there will be no magic drivers or special bios to fix a problem caused by a bad chip.
The card must work with all the drivers otherwise every update you have to rely on providence.

i'm agree with you... but i want to try the latest Drivers/BIOS and if causes any problems i'll make the RMA... the only thing that concerns is... it would be happen again two months after with the new card?... why now and massive?... the same circunstance that explains a hadrware error, explain a human's software error... I'll try this week only and keep you updated

beryl wrote:
i'm agree with you... but i want to try the latest Drivers/BIOS and if causes any problems i'll make the RMA... the only thing that concerns is... it would be happen again two months after with the new card?... why now and massive?... the same circunstance that explains a hadrware error, explain a human's software error... I'll try this week only and keep you updated

In my case the black screen in idle showed up right away.
The card has never worked well.
As soon as I ran it on freshly installed windows 11 it started crashing.
The new one works perfectly.
I advise you not to waste time and have it replaced, no driver or bios can fix a faulty chip.

Andre221183 wrote:
In my case the black screen in idle showed up right away.
The card has never worked well.
As soon as I ran it on freshly installed windows 11 it started crashing.
The new one works perfectly.
I advise you not to waste time and have it replaced, no driver or bios can fix a faulty chip.

Wow, This is wild. I have been running into a sort of Gremlin in my system as well and I was hesitant to say that the GPU could be defective. My symptoms are as follows, random black screen where the monitor losses signal from the GPU. (PC Stays on). One time I also had an issue where the screen went black and the fans went up to 100 percent. System came back after a power cycle. The last really painful thing has been the crashing. Tons of crashing issues. This in on a clean OS, with Latest Vbios and Drivers for the OS and the Strix 4090. A few times I have gotten an error that my GPU was out of memory (DX Crash) This happened on Calisto protocol, which I have not been able to get past the shader compilations, and Kena Bridge of Spirits.

kayawish24
Level 10
look here :

and reddit is also full of same black screens on RTX 4090´s. @asus please tell us if this is hardware problem so i can apply for RMA.

beryl
Level 8
SOLVED!, uninstalling ICUE. That's my problem, i don't know how affects to my ASUS 4090 the Corsair software but i've uninstalled and everything is fine now. No restarts with the card overcvlocked latest 24h...

beryl wrote:
SOLVED!, uninstalling ICUE. That's my problem, i don't know how affects to my ASUS 4090 the Corsair software but i've uninstalled and everything is fine now. No restarts with the card overcvlocked latest 24h...

Nice, Glad it worked out. I am only using Armory Crate so this will not apply to me.