cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA: What is happening with this system?

Olrojahr
Level 7
Let me start off by saying I apologize if this is a long post, however, this problem is long and has been a pain in the butt for a while and continues to no go anywhere with any contact I have had.

My case number is: [Removed]
My motherboard serial number is: [Removed]
My RMA number is: [Removed]
My FedEx tracking is: [Removed]

**I have removed my case number, serial number, rma number, and FedEx tracking as to prevent personal information from being spread, please let me know who to send this to.**

My specs are as follows:
Asus Rog Maximus Z790 Hero
Intel I9 13900k
Western Digital SN850X 2tb M.2 Nvme SSD
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6800 CL34
Seasonic Prime TX 1600
NZXT Kraken Z73
10x lian li infinity fans
Corsair 5000d case

I purchased all of these parts months ago. When built, the computer randomly shutdown. I rebuilt the system multiple times looking for the problem, went on calls with Asus, Microsoft, and Intel to try and figure it out, and no one could really help me. I started replacing a component individually at a time, and the system would still shutdown, I got to the point where I was replacing/warrantying the same parts multiple times and the issue persisted.

I tried diagnosing it myself, no thermal problems, ran memtest multiple times for multiple days, reinstalled windows multiple times, stress tested it, and it always shutdown within 15 minutes to 7 hours.

Then I started to go outside for help, started looking at Discords, started going on calls with people from the ROG Discord, and other Discords, no one knew the problem.

I updated the motherboard through multiple different BIOS versions, nothing at all would fix it.

This is finally when, months later, that I started trying to actually get more in-touch with Asus to see if I can get an RMA. Thankfully, I did, eventually, after many, many phone calls and emails. The person I was talking with over the phone recommended me to send my entire computer, case and all, since I built it myself to see if they can repair the computer. However, they told me they aren't liable if any components don't get returned or end up missing, or are not the original parts, which made me a little confused why they would recommend me to send it but can't guarantee I'll get it back. However, they did say on my RMA checklist to include every part which I am shipping on it in it, so I did. so I sent it anyways because it's useless if it randomly shutsdown daily.

So, I sent in my computer through FedEx. I paid for next-day delivery, however, it got delayed, which is alright with me because there was poor weather, and finally got delivered on December 27th. Today is January 10th. I was told it would be a maximum of 7-10 days for it to get fixed and sent back to me, however, that's once they say they've received the package. It has been sitting somewhere at an Asus repair facility for 11 days and has not been even confirmed on my RMA status that it has been received. I have tried contacting many people over the phone since, each time they said someone would contact me within 24-48 hours, I have not once received any email or callback from anyone.

This leads me to yesterday. I decided I'd finally try again, so I called, explained the problem, they said they'd get someone to call me back in the same day, no one called me.

Now, today, I finally decided to contact through the chat. This time I made a little progress of why it might be going slow. They told me, and I quote "May I ask if did you send your whole pc to us with the case?"
So, I said "I did, yes, over the phone they said I was able to"
They said, "I understand. Finally our facility already provided you an update they have said that this is a corsair case; we cannot work on anything that is not ASUS even with ASUS parts inside. They will return your board and please send us the board again without the case but the board only."

This to me, did not make any sense, I was told to send it, and now they're saying they're going to send it back to me? We talked for a while, then they eventually said that they'd talk with the repair facility and make sure that it gets repaired. If no one can figure out the actual problem, how am I supposed to know what needs to be fixed or replaced, especially if I am convinced there's a problem with the bios, firmware, software, or drivers, how are they then going to fix the problem with only the motherboard, it'll then just keep infinitely going with replacement upon replacement. Unfortunately, they said usually it'll take 24-48 hours for them to update me, except, they'll try to get it through faster.

This brings me to the main purpose of this thread. I am really hoping a staff member here is able to help me out and understand the problem and actually provide me with an update, and make sure that my repair actually goes through as this lack of communication has been absolutely terrible.

I am able to provide any information as needed, I just want this system to get repaired and sent back to me already. (Also, for some reason the file upload/attachments is not working for me here, I tried to attach my RMA checklist and my most recent chat.)
2 REPLIES 2

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi Olrojahr,

Apologize for the confusion and if you don't mind sending a message to me at cl-Albert@ROG with your RMA number, would like to check what happened with the call center, but unfortunately as you heard, we don't normally want entire desktops sent in with non-ASUS parts in case they are lost or broken, so don't expect anything can be changed regarding that policy.

Thanks.

YoloharryZhu
Level 7

Apologize for my bad English, I have a nearly identical system as yours, mine has 64GB of ram and a 4090 and I too have been getting these weird random shutdowns. I did some digging and found out it was the Seasonic Tx1600 because when I swapped an 8-year-old corsair rm1000x everything runs perfectly. I RMAed my TX1600, Seasonic tested in the factory and everything checked out, and they told me it could be that there is an incompatibility issue with the Z790 hero and the tx1600, they send me a replacement with a newer manufactured date which was made in March 2023 (my old one was made in Dec 2022), and I have been using it for a week now with no random shutdowns. People at Seasonic told me they have been working with Asus to improve the incompatibility issue. So if u decide to go with Seasonic tx1600 with Asus z790 hero please try to get one that is newly made, I don't know if it will make the situation go away, but it will at least help. I will keep on using my tx1600 and will post any updates that I have.