Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array AdelaisAer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    About recommendation from which online store to buy from I don't want to say since I've never bought any items from them. :P
    But they are both pretty much the same, right? o-o; Like, their appearance doesn't matter?
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
    • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
    • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
    • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar

I can not tell any difference on specification/details on the Intel SSD 180GB from these resellers.
    They have the same information on both sites so go for the one that is most cheap :P

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...366&CatId=5300

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820167113

I can be wrong ofcourse, so the best thing is to wait until others who can see the difference between these SSDs can give an explanation if there is any
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

I can not tell any difference on specification/details on the Intel SSD 180GB from these resellers.
    They have the same information on both sites so go for the one that is most cheap :P

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...366&CatId=5300

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820167113

I can be wrong ofcourse, so the best thing is to wait until others who can see the difference between these SSDs can give an explanation if there is any
    Hmm, alright. Worse come to worst, if by Monday, I get no further help, I'll go with the one from Tiger Direct. It doesn't have the black ring (which I think I don't need, since, if I am not mistaken, it's needed only if you put it in a 3.5mm case for desktops, and I need it for laptop, therefore 2.5mm without the black ring), nor do it come with all those extra wires and screws, but really, I don't need them since I'll just be swapping the drives. Then again, I don't know how to move all the data, including OS, files, etc. from my old SSD to the new one, so I might have to connect it somehow. :S Ugh.

EDIT: Then again, I also have two more HDDs, or maybe it's one that's divided into two partitions. Either way, if I need to save data, I can just put that stuff on my HDDs, and then transport it to my SSD once I swap it? Or does it not work that way...
    Last edited by AdelaisAer; 04-23-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB

ROG Member Array

well i have 2 intel ssd's and they are fast, grab a 520 stead' of a 320, 520s much faster.
    Personal Rig
    CPU:I7 3770K
    MOBO:Sabertooth Z77
    GPU: Asus DCII GTX680
    SSD: Intel 520 480GB SSD (x2 in Raid 0)
    SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar
    HDD:Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB
    CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912
    RAM:Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x8GB (all single Sticks so they are NOT Quad Channel)
    PSU: Corsair HX1050

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan-0804 View Post
    well i have 2 intel ssd's and they are fast, grab a 520 stead' of a 320, 520s much faster.
    That's what I want to do. But I don't know where to buy it from (the two sources I listed, that is). TigerDirect has OEMs only that come without the black ring, while NewEgg has both OEMs with the black rings and the retail packages which include extra wires and screws, etc.
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB

Still need help with this. :S Also, sorry for doublepost.
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB

Okey, I looked more into the Intel SSD 520 and I did find out is that there is two different Sequential Read/Write (up to)2.
    Intel Solid State Drive 520
    "SATA 6Gb/s 550 MB/s / 520 MB/s"

"SATA 3Gb/s 280 MB/s / 260 MB/s"

I haven't looked at the ones on you have linked to, but will see if that is the difference

EDIT: So I looked at the links and they both got 6GB write speed.

As you're mentioning "NewEgg has both OEMs with the black rings and the retail packages which include extra wires and screws" that is the only difference I can see between these SSDs.

If you're still not sure on which online store you want to buy off, google it and see what others think about them ?

EDIT 2: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Series-2...5224993&sr=8-3
    Last edited by fuzon1337; 04-23-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - BIOS 205

Okey, I looked more into the Intel SSD 520 and I did find out is that there is two different Sequential Read/Write (up to)2.
    Intel Solid State Drive 520
    "SATA 6Gb/s 550 MB/s / 520 MB/s"

"SATA 3Gb/s 280 MB/s / 260 MB/s"

I haven't looked at the ones on you have linked to, but will see if that is the difference

EDIT: So I looked at the links and they both got 6GB write speed.

As you're mentioning "NewEgg has both OEMs with the black rings and the retail packages which include extra wires and screws" that is the only difference I can see between these SSDs.

If you're still not sure on which online store you want to buy off, google it and see what others think about them ?
    Yeah. I think I might have to go with NewEgg because of the extra stuff they include, because I honestly have no idea how to do this sort of thing. Also, I have uploaded a picture of my laptop with the backcover open (see first post), and I really have no idea which one is the SSD and which one is the HDD. :S

But yeah, I'll look for reviews online and hopefully see which one is better, unless I get more feedback in this thread. :P
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB

I did find these steps from notebookreview:

1) Obtain Windows 7 64-bit installation/ISO onto a bootable DVD or flash drive. You can do this with the laptop. Google either of these for more information, you can get the ISO legally and freely online.

1a) Obtain all drivers for the laptop that are important. Google this - there is a very nice page on ASUS ROG with lots of current drivers. Alternatively, go to the ASUS website. Transfer these drivers onto a SEPARATE flash drive (the bootable flash drive needs to be separate for safest practice).

2) Shut down laptop. Remove battery.

3) Remove rear cover screw (the very big one that uses a slot screwdriver). Pull it out gently - there are about 8 push tabs holding it in place, so you will hear about 8 snaps.

4) Remove screws of the spare HDD bracket (with the front end of the laptop facing towards you, it is the right one).

4) Use the black tape to lift up the HDD bracket.

5) The laptop box has a pink/clear bag with 4 screws, a ribbon cable, and a SATA connector. Take these out.

6) Use the 4 screws to screw the SSD into the bracket. The bracket clearly tells you which end the connection end of the SSD should be facing.

7) Now using the provided ribbon cable, connect it first to the SATA connector that is connected to the SSD. There is a flap that rotates out and serves as a clamp to hold down the ribbon cable. The ribbon cable has blue tape on each end to designate which end goes to the SSD, and which end goes to the MOBO. Don't remove the tape. Make sure the metal connector side of the ribbon cable faces the pins of the connectors.

8) Screw the bracket with the SSD back into its original slot.

9) Now the ribbon cable needs to be connect to the motherboard. There is a empty latch conspicuously close to the two harddrives, just about where the ribbon cable will be able to reach. They even bend the cable so that it goes to the right spot. The MOBO SATA connector is tricky. It does not rotate like a flap. Instead, you pull the black plastic part upwards, away from the MOBO. You don't actually remove it - it simply gets loosened to the point where you can then directly insert the ribbon cable into the connector slot (again, make sure the metal pins are touching the metal contacts of the ribbon). I can't remember which way it is, but you can see using a flashlight. Once the ribbon is in, push back down the black plastic part, and it will clamp the ribbon into the connector tight.

10) Now put the rear cover back on - it should snap at about 8 different places, including 2 around in center of the rear cover. Put the battery back into the laptop, and put the power cord back in.

11) Start up the laptop but press F2 as soon as possible to enter the BIOS.

12) In the boot up options page, set Boot Option #1 to DVD (if you are using DVD install) and Boot Option #2 as the SSD. If you are using a bootable flash drive instead, then go to the other option near the bottom where you designate disk bootup priority (once you are on this page, you should be able to see your USB flash drive as an option, e.g. USB DRIVER 0.0.0 or something like that). Make USB #1, SSD #2, original HDD #3. Save BIOS, exit.

13) It should then start Windows 7 installation. Amazingly, using a bootable flash drive and installing onto the SSD, this only takes MINUTES. Wow.

14) Once computer is up and running, you have to immediately obtain and install various drivers for the laptop, including ATK, video card, wireless card, touchpad, USB 3.0, etc. etc. If you have these already on a flash drive as I mentioned in 1a, just stick it in and install them from there. There will be lots of rebooting.

15) Finally, go to Windows Update and install their updates. There will be lots.

16) Download Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers. Google this.

16a) Optional, but also download Intel's SSD Toolbox (great for letting you know SSD life and some other tuneups/fixes).

17) You are done.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About which is the SSD and HDD in your notebook, if I'm not wrong I think that the slot you want to swap the new SSD with is on the left side.
    Perhaps you can pm @Brodyboy or @MarshallR and ask them if they don't give any suggestions here.
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - BIOS 205

I did find these steps from notebookreview:

1) Obtain Windows 7 64-bit installation/ISO onto a bootable DVD or flash drive. You can do this with the laptop. Google either of these for more information, you can get the ISO legally and freely online.

1a) Obtain all drivers for the laptop that are important. Google this - there is a very nice page on ASUS ROG with lots of current drivers. Alternatively, go to the ASUS website. Transfer these drivers onto a SEPARATE flash drive (the bootable flash drive needs to be separate for safest practice).

2) Shut down laptop. Remove battery.

3) Remove rear cover screw (the very big one that uses a slot screwdriver). Pull it out gently - there are about 8 push tabs holding it in place, so you will hear about 8 snaps.

4) Remove screws of the spare HDD bracket (with the front end of the laptop facing towards you, it is the right one).

4) Use the black tape to lift up the HDD bracket.

5) The laptop box has a pink/clear bag with 4 screws, a ribbon cable, and a SATA connector. Take these out.

6) Use the 4 screws to screw the SSD into the bracket. The bracket clearly tells you which end the connection end of the SSD should be facing.

7) Now using the provided ribbon cable, connect it first to the SATA connector that is connected to the SSD. There is a flap that rotates out and serves as a clamp to hold down the ribbon cable. The ribbon cable has blue tape on each end to designate which end goes to the SSD, and which end goes to the MOBO. Don't remove the tape. Make sure the metal connector side of the ribbon cable faces the pins of the connectors.

8) Screw the bracket with the SSD back into its original slot.

9) Now the ribbon cable needs to be connect to the motherboard. There is a empty latch conspicuously close to the two harddrives, just about where the ribbon cable will be able to reach. They even bend the cable so that it goes to the right spot. The MOBO SATA connector is tricky. It does not rotate like a flap. Instead, you pull the black plastic part upwards, away from the MOBO. You don't actually remove it - it simply gets loosened to the point where you can then directly insert the ribbon cable into the connector slot (again, make sure the metal pins are touching the metal contacts of the ribbon). I can't remember which way it is, but you can see using a flashlight. Once the ribbon is in, push back down the black plastic part, and it will clamp the ribbon into the connector tight.

10) Now put the rear cover back on - it should snap at about 8 different places, including 2 around in center of the rear cover. Put the battery back into the laptop, and put the power cord back in.

11) Start up the laptop but press F2 as soon as possible to enter the BIOS.

12) In the boot up options page, set Boot Option #1 to DVD (if you are using DVD install) and Boot Option #2 as the SSD. If you are using a bootable flash drive instead, then go to the other option near the bottom where you designate disk bootup priority (once you are on this page, you should be able to see your USB flash drive as an option, e.g. USB DRIVER 0.0.0 or something like that). Make USB #1, SSD #2, original HDD #3. Save BIOS, exit.

13) It should then start Windows 7 installation. Amazingly, using a bootable flash drive and installing onto the SSD, this only takes MINUTES. Wow.

14) Once computer is up and running, you have to immediately obtain and install various drivers for the laptop, including ATK, video card, wireless card, touchpad, USB 3.0, etc. etc. If you have these already on a flash drive as I mentioned in 1a, just stick it in and install them from there. There will be lots of rebooting.

15) Finally, go to Windows Update and install their updates. There will be lots.

16) Download Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers. Google this.

16a) Optional, but also download Intel's SSD Toolbox (great for letting you know SSD life and some other tuneups/fixes).

17) You are done.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About which is the SSD and HDD in your notebook, if I'm not wrong I think that the slot you want to swap the new SSD with is on the left side.
    Perhaps you can pm @Brodyboy or @MarshallR and ask them if they don't give any suggestions here.
    Whoa. Thanks for the guide!

And yeah, if I don't get any more help in this thread, I'll message either of them.
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast