cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS TUF Dash 2022 type-c HDMI

Markee
Level 7
Hello,

anyone could tell me if I connect a type-c to HDMI adapter which GPU will be active? The dedicated HDMI port uses only the geforce card. Type-c is only support one GPU too? Thank you!
14 REPLIES 14

d00lar
Level 8
hi
no in this models they only support external monitors via geforce.
if You would like to have connected anything to usbc dock / hdmi etc
amoury wont let You set 'eco' mode because intell gpu 'does not support external output'

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Markee wrote:
Hello,

anyone could tell me if I connect a type-c to HDMI adapter which GPU will be active? The dedicated HDMI port uses only the geforce card. Type-c is only support one GPU too? Thank you!

Welcome to the forums!

Don't expect it will matter, but you may want to mention which FX517 model you have just to make sure we're all talking about the same model.

The FX517 series should have two USB type-C display outputs and one is connected to the cpu graphics which should still switch to the Nvidia graphics when needed while the other is connected to the Nvidia graphics only, so you have a choice to connect either way depending on which USB type-C connector you use. Thanks.

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

Don't expect it will matter, but you may want to mention which FX517 model you have just to make sure we're all talking about the same model.

The FX517 series should have two USB type-C display outputs and one is connected to the cpu graphics which should still switch to the Nvidia graphics when needed while the other is connected to the Nvidia graphics only, so you have a choice to connect either way depending on which USB type-C connector you use. Thanks.

I have FX517ZE. Thank you for the answer. It sounds good.

it is not true
i have FX517ZM
and when connected dell dock wd19
to USBC NOT THUNDERBOLT
and still no way to disable GPU geforce -(set GPu eco mode)
it still throws
and it still use it

cl-Albert
d00lar wrote:
it is not true
i have FX517ZM
and when connected dell dock wd19
to USBC NOT THUNDERBOLT
and still no way to disable GPU geforce -(set GPu eco mode)

Thanks for the feedback, but don't believe this was Markee's question who can hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, the FX517 non-thunderbolt USB type-C port should be permanently connected to the Nvidia graphics and cannot be disabled by changing the Armoury Crate GPU power saving/GPU mode to 'ECO' as you found and reported already. It's normal.

The Armoury Crate GPU mode setting only affects the GPU used by the notebook screen and not the external monitors.

Curious why you want to disable the Nvidia graphics for the non-thunderbolt USB type-C output and does it make any difference if you connect to the thunderbolt USB type-C output instead which should be connected to both GPUS?

i see You are right
i would like to do do that becouse then in eco when gpu is disabled should be more 'sailent' / gpu should generate 0 heat and not like when even used only as pass-thrue and intell doing calculations have 40-50c.
both radiators/fans would be used only for cpu temperature what wouls i belive made this laptop alot more sailent then it is in 'sailent' mode ??
it have 'mux switch' so it should do that and not always passing thrue nvidia ?

cl-Albert
I see and that makes some sense.
Hope you don't mind if I correct your spelling, but believe you were interested in having a more 'silent' notebook that runs the fans less while keeping temperatures lower at the same time.

Since this is a gaming notebook, there was probably more of a focus on performance compared to other factors.

I only work in support at the U.S. office, so don't have much influence about the design or know all the details, but it appears the current and earlier models that support the 'mux' switch can only change the GPU for the notebook screen and cannot change the GPU for the external monitors as you found already unfortunately although if you only plan to connect one monitor by USB type-C, you may want to connect it to the thunderbolt port which is connected to the Intel cpu graphics as well as Nvidia GPU.

If you refer to the news article about the MUX switch and the picture, you may need to imagine there are additional connections between the Intel cpu graphics and Nvidia graphics chips and the external monitor connections that are not shown and the picture is for the internal notebook display only, so that when you change the MUX switch setting, it only affects the notebook screen rather than everything.
The 'display' labeled in the picture linked below would only be for the internal display.
Hope that makes sense.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/rog-gaming-laptops/maximize-your-rog-laptops-performance-with-a-mux-sw...

thanks i see /known now how it works
but when was buying was thinkink that this will be perfect 'sailent' machine for work and perfect gaming in performance mode.
i love how quiet it is in sailent mode and 'eco' gpu mode
but in real life with external monitor i had to buy som 'stand' and expensive noctua fans to have quiet work place ;/

please if You can send this as feature request maybe ? to think about that in next generations - i think this would not be so hard to do use that mux switch such way that it will be able to do what i thought it is doing also;)

regards

cl-Albert
Thanks for the suggestion and honestly your feedback may be more important than mine although if you notice other sites where customers are interested in the same feature(s), you may want to mention them too.

Anyway, not sure who monitors the thread below, but if you have the interest, you may want to post your suggestion there. Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127439-Make-Future-Notebook-Feature-Suggestions-Here!