cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about memory overclocking on the Asus Rog Strix z690-I motherboard

Uno61385
Level 8
Hello rog fanatics!

I had some quick questions about memory overclocking on the Asus Rog Strix z690-I motherboard (ddr5).

If I can stabilize a ram frequency higher than what the motherboard is advertised to support, am I allowed to keep and use the memory overclock for daily use? Also, After stabilizing a memory overclock, is that when i'm supposed to enable memory fast boot, save the profile in the bios and consider it completed? Are there any other additional steps I need to take, if so, what are they?

Cordially,

Uno
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hello Uno61385

According to Asus, the ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming Wifi supports up to 6800MT/s with G.Skill Memory.

Link - https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/rog%20strix%20z690-i%20gaming%20wifi/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

What cpu and memory kit do you have?

Uno61385
Level 8
I have a 12700K and a gskill memory kit that contains Hynix M-die ICs. I'll reset the cmos and reload my stable profile that I have saved in the bios.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Uno61385 wrote:
Hello rog fanatics!

I had some quick questions about memory overclocking on the Asus Rog Strix z690-I motherboard (ddr5).

If I can stabilize a ram frequency higher than what the motherboard is advertised to support, am I allowed to keep and use the memory overclock for daily use? Also, After stabilizing a memory overclock, is that when i'm supposed to enable memory fast boot, save the profile in the bios and consider it completed? Are there any other additional steps I need to take, if so, what are they?

Cordially,

Uno

Hello,

The memory specification information is to ensure the user knows what is qualified (ensuring the best chance of operation). It's not uncommon to be able to exceed this in some instances, usually with the right pairing. This includes a CPU with a better-than-reasonable IMC.

Once you have confirmed the memory is stable you can enable Fast Boot. This prevents the system from retraining the memory unless the power to the system is lost (no AC).

I would use Karhu RAM Test or TestMem5 (TM5) in order to test stability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090