cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog ROG Strix Z690-E Chipset Temps

ATOdinson
Level 9
Is it normal to have such high chipset temps compared to the rest of the system? There has to be a way to get this down. I have great airflow in the case and all my other temps look fantastic. When playing a game, the chipset temp gets up above 70c.

7 REPLIES 7

RogScott
Level 12
The range you're seeing (60-70C) is typical for the chipset on Z690-E motherboards. Lots of other threads about this. Asus support has said it is "normal" and well within Intel's specifications.

Many people (including me) have added a small fan pointed at the chipset -- that can lower it by 5C or more. But mine still runs between 58-65C even with the fan. Others have gone further by disassembling the heatsink to remove the plastic covering, and/or replacing thermal paste, with mixed success. You should be able to turn up those threads using the forum Search.

I have not read of any board failures linked to this, so maybe Asus support is right.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
The range you're seeing (60-70C) is typical for the chipset on Z690-E motherboards. Lots of other threads about this. Asus support has said it is "normal" and well within Intel's specifications.

Many people (including me) have added a small fan pointed at the chipset -- that can lower it by 5C or more. But mine still runs between 58-65C even with the fan. Others have gone further by disassembling the heatsink to remove the plastic covering, and/or replacing thermal paste, with mixed success. You should be able to turn up those threads using the forum Search.

I have not read of any board failures linked to this, so maybe Asus support is right.

Thanks for the reply. I might get a little 4mm fan to mount in the case pointed right at the chipset.

ATOdinson wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I might get a little 4mm fan to mount in the case pointed right at the chipset.

I used a 60x25mm Noctua (model NF-A6x25 PWM). Connected to chassis fan 5, and set a curve in Armoury crate that is OFF below 60, 20% at 60C, and ramping up to 100% at 80. It spends most of its time at about 1000rpm or less, and it's mostly silent at that speed, and I seldom see anything over 65C PCH temp (more typically 59-61C).

I have a Corsair 7000D Airflow case, which has a power supply enclosure at the bottom. I designed and 3d-printed an angled, magnetic mount that sits on that platform and points the fan at the chipset. A bit hard to get much air into the right spot because the graphics card is so close, but it does help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

ATOdinson
Level 9
Thanks for the advice. I might try something like this, though I will have to figure out how with the case I have.

RogScott
Level 12
Checked your build specs... Yeah, that Mechwarrior case is WILD. How do you like it?

I just built a 13700K system with Z690 and I'm a bit late to the high PHC temps party but this thread is the most helpful information I've dug up. Thank you!

RogScott
Level 12
I was on bios 1403 when I made my earlier posts in this thread... Since updating to 2204, I am seeing 67-69C idle and ~72-73C under load (with ambient at about 21C). So, the bios being used makes a difference.

If "PCIE Native Power Management" is Enabled in bios, the PCH temp will drop by nearly 10 degrees. However, having that option enabled on the Z690-E (and many other Z690 boards) will cause hundreds or thousands of WHEA 17 errors -- and sometimes cause instability. To avoid that, the "PCIE Native Power Management" generally needs to be disabled on this board and that adds to the PCH temperature.

There are two PCH voltages in the AITweaker section of bios named "PCH 1.050 volt" and "PCH 0.82 volt". Lowering these can shave a few degrees off the PCH temperature. When selecting those settings in bios, the bottom of the screen will show Min, Max, and Default values. Many people have set them to the minimum values without any issues. But others have reported WHEA errors at or near the minimum voltage. So this is a "trial and error" of lowering the voltage, then seeing if everything is still stable.

Hope that adds some useful information.