cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU_LED and no display

tinfoil
Level 7
Hello, I was wondering if I could get a bit of help with my motherboard.

I've got an issue extremely similar to this one here, except that my CPU_LED won't turn off.

My motherboard is a ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX, which I believe is running the default BIOS 1102. It was purchased through Newegg, arrived undamaged, was installed as I was grounded, and was installed as guided.

The motherboard appears to be working normally at first glance, as it powers all of the fans normally, lights up, and is startable using the power button on the case's front I/O. However, when I power it on, the red CPU_LED light remains on and nothing is displayed to my monitor no matter what I do.

The red CPU_LED light remains on even after I remove or reposition the CPU, empty all but one DIMM slot, remove the GPU, reset the CMOS, turn ROG Connect on/off, and disconnect my hard drive. All of the pins on the CPU are unbent, the board's LEDs indicate that everything is receiving normal voltage, and everything on the board appears normal.

This is a brand new build, so I can't swap any pieces out to determine other issues which could cause this problem, but the issue seems to me to definitely be the board itself.

If there's anything I could do to avoid having to submit an RMA, that would be wonderful. I want to get this working ASAP.

Here are my build's specs-

Case: Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
GPU: An inherited ASUS 9400 GT, the only not-brand new piece in this build. Confirmed to work in another machine.
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Modular Gaming 80Plus Bronze Power Supply
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI...
HDD: Seagate Barracuda XT ST33000651AS 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
May I ask why you assume that is the default BIOS?

If you look near your 24pin power connector there is a white sticker that has a long number the last four digits should be the BIOS your board was shipped with. Could you check and see that your BIOS is indeed 1102?

I suspect that it might just be pre-705 and that means you will need a bios flash for your CPU to be seen.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
May I ask why you assume that is the default BIOS?

If you look near your 24pin power connector there is a white sticker that has a long number the last four digits should be the BIOS your board was shipped with. Could you check and see that your BIOS is indeed 1102?

I suspect that it might just be pre-705 and that means you will need a bios flash for your CPU to be seen.

My assumption came from reading that sticker, so I guess I can confirm it's 1102.
I can't even see whether or not the board makes it to BIOS because it won't display anything.

Fixed it.
I am an idiot.

tinfoil wrote:
Fixed it.
I am an idiot.

LOL You can not leave us hanging like that. Come on fes up what did you do????? 😛
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ganji
Level 13
when i bought my v formula lst week the bios version was 0404

ganji
Level 13
glad u got it sorted 😄