cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene - BSOD with Turbo Mode ON

flyingfox14
Level 7
Yesterday I just bought a whole new rig, Intel i5 3570k, Asus Maximus V Gene, Corsair Vengeance DDR1600 (2X4G), Msi GTX 560 Ti, Intel 520 SSD, PSU 650W.

I didn't touch on the BIOS setup, it's totally all by default. I always encounter BSOD just a few mins of use, sometime it crashed right after I typed in the windows password. I try to run Windows Experience Index (the windows rating system), but it always stopped working in the middle. I tried to play some games, and the game client always crashed after few mins. I can't remember how many times the system BSOD, probably 30-40 times after testing by changing RAM, GPU, install latest drivers. Finally I figured out that the problem is Turbo Mode is set to Enabled which caused the system BSOD and many applications stopped working. After I set it to Disable, the system seems run smooth. I can run Windows Experience Index, can play game without client crash.

So, my question is would it be the mobo defected, or CPU defected? Or it just wrong setting in BIOS, or the Turbo Mode not supposed to set to Enabled at all ?
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
The one item you did not list is the one that is most important in understanding what is happening here with your system.

What is your cooling solution?

The Turbo mode is meant to be enabled.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

i agree with HiVizMan, and btw have you check your temps, idle/load?

8_Pack
Level 12
I am testing this board and I have found it very stable. What is your RAM settings ??? Have you enabled the XMP??? with Maximus tweak mode one firstly for compatability. What arte your voltages also as an early bios defaulted to 1.4 cpu volts which will cause alot of heat. Check your VCCSA, CPU, VCCIO and DRAM voltages.

Sporkmonger
Level 7
I'm running a Maximus V Extreme and I'm having the same exact problem. Took me awhile to figure out the cause, but it's definitely Turbo Mode. If I run Prime95 with Turbo Mode on, it crashes in less than a second with a STOP 0x00000124 code. If I switch Turbo Mode off, it'll run Prime95 with no problems indefinitely. I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 cooler and even with very high ambient temperatures, the CPU never goes anywhere near overheating. GPU-only stress tests didn't cause any major problems, only tests that produces sufficient CPU load did. Dwarf Fortress would crash it every time. 😛

I may try lowering Turbo Mode from 3900 Mhz to 3600 Mhz or something, but honestly, stability is vastly more important to me than speed for the games I play. I don't want to be BSODing in the middle of an EVE fleet fight while I'm sitting in a capital ship.

Anyway, I'm mostly posting for the sake of the people from the future who need to Google this.

HiVizMan
Level 40
SPorkmonger if your system falls over at defaults then I would think you have cause for RMA of that CPU.

The stop code you have posted 0124 is an indicator of additional voltage required by the way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.