New ROGer Array

Out of the box issues

I just received my new ROG G74S and started it up. After an agonizing 90 minutes of trying to get the initial setup complete and the computer wanting to update everything all at once, I rebooted. Since it was running slower than my current 4 year old Dell, I did not make backup disks of the OS.

Upon rebooting, it will not go to the screen to type the password. I have waited an hour while watching TV and still the pre-login background. I even tried to F9 the recovery partition and it does the same thing. Nothing from the factory laptop is getting past the login screen save the quick browser login leaf button thingie next to the power button. I am currently downloading the iso recovery disc from this site in hopes that it will do some sort of miracle, but I would appreciate any help in getting this system up and running before morning. Thanks!

It sounds like you have a hardware problem--pack it up and return it to the store. Defective unit, definitely. Ask for a refund or an exchange.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Welcome AgentAnderson to ROG.
    ...slower than a dell ? hahahhaa .... yea .. i would send it back to the retailer.

Although you didnt say if you could get into safe mode. Since it was updating and all ..
    worth a shot ..
    but generally if it still has rma in it from the retailer ... ship it. Best of Luck.. keep us 'posted'.c.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

If the first-time-use wizard had issues from the very beginning, you should probably just return it.

If you want to give it one last, do an F9 factory restore and BE SURE you let it run to completion. This can easily take 45-60 minutes, so start it and just walk away. Don't touch it or interfere in any way.

After the factory restore is complete, you will be at the first-time-use wizard again. Go through just a basic setup....set up a user account, language, etc.....don't even bother with a password for now.

If it's wigging out after (or during) any of that, you probably have a defective unit. Return it to your retailer. Don't get talked into sending it in for repair or anything like that. Just get a different one.