cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-BBK11 HDD to SSD

iamjuice
Level 7
Hey I just purchased the G74SX-BBK11 from Best Buy and will be replacing one of the HDDs with a Crucial M4 128gb SSD.
I havent turned the machine on yet since I purchased it but I want to know what steps I should take before swapping the drives. I've never worked on laptops before but I want a fresh OEM Windows install and avoid putting as much bloatware and unnecessary crap on the drive as possible.

Thanks in advance.
31 REPLIES 31

Zygomorphic
Level 17
You need to make the recovery DVD's first. You will need a number of the drivers, but the ASUS software is optional. The computer should come with a DVD full of the drivers and other bloatware, but the nice thing about it is that you can pick the software you want to install. While some of the drivers are old, it makes a great way to get all the stuff installed so that you need to get the system functional. After that, you can go and find the drivers on the web that you want.

Note: definitely install the latest nVidia drivers from nVidia, they are newer than the ASUS ones, and it has the FXAA support. The 301.XX beta drivers are quite reliable, and definitely worth trying.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

The laptop actually didnt come with any CD/DVD and barely a user manual. I have an old Win 7 64bit disc that I have installed on all of my previous machines that works fine. It seems the biggest obstacle is backing up the drivers. Should I just find the drivers folder in the Windows directory and just make a copy of that or do I need to do something else?

iamjuice wrote:
The laptop actually didnt come with any CD/DVD and barely a user manual. I have an old Win 7 64bit disc that I have installed on all of my previous machines that works fine. It seems the biggest obstacle is backing up the drivers. Should I just find the drivers folder in the Windows directory and just make a copy of that or do I need to do something else?

Since you want a clean install, I would recommend the following:

• (Optional) Go ahead and turn it on and go through the first-time-use setup
  • Use the computer for a couple days to test the hardware and make sure it's not defective (no point in upgrading it if you have to exchange it for some reason!)
  • (Optional) Use AI Recovery to make a set of recovery DVDs
  • Physically remove the system hard drive with your new SSD
  • Perform a clean Windows 7 Home Premium installation...using a new Windows installer (you can download & make this yourself)
  • Install only the essential drivers....there are about 10 or so for the G74 (these are all available online)

BrodyBoy wrote:

• (Optional) Go ahead and turn it on and go through the first-time-use setup
  • Use the computer for a couple days to test the hardware and make sure it's not defective (no point in upgrading it if you have to exchange it for some reason!)
  • (Optional) Use AI Recovery to make a set of recovery DVDs
  • Physically remove the system hard drive with your new SSD
  • Perform a clean Windows 7 Home Premium installation...using a new Windows installer (you can download & make this yourself)
  • Install only the essential drivers....there are about 10 or so for the G74 (these are all available online)

Thanks for the input. I suppose I should test it out first. I just know how retailers can bog down the system with unnecessary stuff. I will try the suggested stuff and get back with everyone in a few days after my findings.

iamjuice wrote:
Thanks for the input. I suppose I should test it out first. I just know how retailers can bog down the system with unnecessary stuff. I will try the suggested stuff and get back with everyone in a few days after my findings.

Not the retailer.....it's Asus that does it! They do put a bunch of bloatware on it, and you're on the right track wanting a clean install. But there are a few known hardware issues that pop up occasionally on new units. I'm just suggesting you play around with it and make sure everything works as expected before going to all the trouble to upgrade it. The keyboard and touchpad are probably the two most common culprits....so watch closely for any weirdness or abnormal behavior with them.

BrodyBoy wrote:

I've been searching around Windows page but cant for the life of me find where to download the Windows installer for the New version. Please help 😄

Thanks

iamjuice wrote:
I've been searching around Windows page but cant for the life of me find where to download the Windows installer for the New version. Please help 😄

Thanks

Windows 7 Home Premium ISO

Many thanks again, you're help is greatly appreciated.

iamjuice
Level 7
Update: I have everything working properly, drivers up to date, etc. The only issue I am running into is the drives that were installed we're in a RAID array and now the only drive recognized by the system is the SSD I installed. How do I get it to be recognized by the system and accessible?