cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New WC PC, problems with Rampage IV Extreme

Sverre
Level 9
I am putting together a new PC and have run into some trouble.

Rampage IV Extreme
64GB memory
2xPOW GTX590
2x3TB HD
1x480GB SSD
Aquaero 5
2 water pumps, tanks and radiators
9x120mm fans
4x80mm fans
Corsair AX 1200 gold
Plus a lot of sensors that will connect to the Aquaero

I have connected the Aquaero and the fans and it runs fine, but when I connect the motherboard and the graphics cards and 1 HD it only gets 5v standby power. If I disconnect the MB, HD and graphic cards I still only get 5v SB. Have to disconnect the power cord for some minutes (haven't timed it) before full power returns. Then running Aquaero is ok, but the second I reconnect the MB it turns off.

The other day I found a 30v mosfet regulator on the bottom of the case, but quite sure it's for the PSU tester (molex output isn't working) as it is produced for iPhone and iPad.

Any suggestions?
[/URL]
30 REPLIES 30

Sverre
Level 9
Disconnected the graphics cards and the power is ok. When I connect ANY of the PCI-E cables (not connected to graphics cards) I hear a sound that reminds of a shorting, and the PSU goes dead, only leaving 5v SB. Since this seems to be the same for all the cables I'm a bit lost. And it isn't the outlets from the PSU, as I use the same outlet for the 8-pin motherboard connector. When I check the cable on the PSU tester, it serms ok, but I can only test the 6-pin part of the connector.
[/URL]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Could you please tell me which connectors you have used on the motherboard.

I am interested in all the 12V CPU connectors and the additional connectors supplying power to the PCIe lanes for your cards.

Where are you drawing power for all the other stuff you have connected to your system?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I have connected the power, reset, hdd led and led +/-. Then I connect the 24-pin and 8-pin. In addition I have power to the Aquaero wich powers the fans and power to the BD's and HD's. If I turn on the power now the Aquaero works and powers the fans, and the motherboard gets power, but a red led is illuminated. Looks like the CPU led. When I connect PCI-E cabel the PSU shuts down and only the 5v standby power is available. I then have to dissconnect the AC for a few minutes before the power gets back.
[/URL]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Something is grounding out the system. Or something is causing the system to shut down.

Please check each and every power connector, and each and every connection that will be carrying power to a fan or anything at all for that matter. Obviously you will pay special attention to the PCie connectors.

Check also for bits of cable that are nicked or might have small cuts. Something is causing this and until we narrow it down we are stuck.

If you have access to another PSU please swap that out and see if the problem remains.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

As this happends only when I attach cables thar aren't connected to anything and that the output I use for PCI-E is the same as I use for the 8-pin to the MB power, I can't understand that it's anything but the PSU. I have another PSU that is broken (waiting for the supplier to take it back on the guatantee) and have tried the PCI-E cabels from that too, with the same result. Could it be tha 30v mosfet that I found, belongs to the PSU? I can't believe that, but I have to try all avenues. I also had to drill a little bigger holes for the screws, and I notice that the screw that is a little indented has touched the board in the PSU, but after careful examination with a magnifiing glass, I can't see that that has damaged anything but leving a little scar. And since the 8-pin CPU power works from the same connectors, why shouldn't the PCI-E? I'm totaly lost.
[/URL]

The case is a Danger Den in all acrylic, so there is no way the screws that holds the mother board could cause a shorting.
[/URL]

sorry if i did miss understood enny of your writing ( my eyes are a lill blury ( small text large screen ) )

It's a Corsair AX1200 gold. The output from the PSU is the same both for PCI-E and the 8-pin power to the mother board?
[/URL]

Do I need to connect the 4-pin to the mother board as well?
[/URL]