cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74sx Freezing

Kjetil95
Level 7
In the past two months i have had problems with freezing. The freezing only happens during gaming, such as skyrim and BF3. I have never seen it happen on the desktop. Its very hard to troubleshoot because it happens very rarely. The whole computer just freezes, no BSOD. I have to hard reset my computer. I ran memtest86 with no errors. I have clean installed my nvidia drivers to 301.24 beta drivers.

Sorry for my bad english, I am norwegian
Asus G74sx

Core i7 2630qm, GTX 560M 3GB, 120GB SSD, Intel 6230 wifi, 8gb 1600mhz.
35 REPLIES 35

dstrakele
Level 14
What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to your G74SX?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to your G74SX?

Currently I dont have any antivirus running, but i have done a system scan, and it found no viruses.
Asus G74sx

Sorry for double post, but now it just froze watching a yotube video, which have never happen before. Im pretty sure that it is the video card that is causing the problem. In my event viewer there is error saying video hardware error. I think the solution is to send it for RMA. The problem is that have upgraded my harddrive to an SSD, should i remove it before i send it to RMA?
Asus G74sx

dstrakele
Level 14
The kernel mode drivers of Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access Software can sometimes conflict with other drivers and cause system lockups.

What WiFi card do you have in your G74SX?

I think you should troubleshoot further before you RMA.

dstrakele wrote:
The kernel mode drivers of Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access Software can sometimes conflict with other drivers and cause system lockups.

What WiFi card do you have in your G74SX?

I think you should troubleshoot further before you RMA.

I upgraded my WIFI card to intel centrino 6200. As i said in my last post, im not running any antivirus programs
Asus G74sx

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

How long is it since you bought this notebook?
What are the temps on the GPU when it freezes?

You could install CCleaner and run the register check, and see if that helps.
(if you install ccleaner, uncheck for google toolbar (if it asks for installing that too))

Which AV/MW programs do you have ?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi

How long is it since you bought this notebook?
What are the temps on the GPU when it freezes?

You could install CCleaner and run the register check, and see if that helps.
(if you install ccleaner, uncheck for google toolbar (if it asks for installing that too))

Which AV/MW programs do you have ?

I bought this computer in october last year. it has been working great until this month. My temps on the gpu is around 30c idle and max 62c when gaming BF3

I also ran ccleaner with no result

What do you mean by AV/MW programs?

By the way, when my computer freezes, my screen becomes disorted, purple pixels all over the screen
Asus G74sx

dstrakele
Level 14
What is the a) EventID, b) Source, and c) exact text of the Description in the video hardware error you received?

Are there any other Error or Warning Events in the System or Application Event logs?

dstrakele wrote:
What is the a) EventID, b) Source, and c) exact text of the Description in the video hardware error you received?

Are there any other Error or Warning Events in the System or Application Event logs?

The event ID is: 117
Caused by: Nvlddmkm.sys
A problem with your video hardware caused windows from working properly.

No other errors so far.
My windows version is norwegian so im trying to translate correctly
Asus G74sx