cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding ASUS G73Jh Notebook Battery

Gamer1986
Level 7
I am using an ASUS G73Jh notebook computer. I've had it for about a year now and everything had been going fine until the other day. While I was playing League of Legends with some friends the screen suddenly turned pure white. I could still hear the game going on through the audio and figured the display driver or recent game patch had caused a hiccup. I turned off my computer and when attempting to turn it back on it would not turn back on. I noticed the battery light had turned red. I thought perhaps the adapter had gone bad since I had always used the computer on AC power. My father owns the same laptop so I tried plugging it in with his adapter and the light was still red. I figured this meant the battery was low charge and attempted to turn it on. It turned back on but the battery gauge said there was a problem with the battery and to consider replacing it. When I returned to using the original adapter it turned on again but still said the battery had a problem. Since I always use AC power it wasn't much of a concern but I did not detach the battery. Then this morning while I was playing the game again the screen again turned white but I could still hear my friends through Skype. I turned it off again and put the battery and adapter from my father's machine in. But this time it would not turn back on. When I took the battery out and tried to turn it on with no battery in it then came back on. It also worked with the original adapter. It seems to be working fine now without the battery attached. So my question is was the white screen caused by the battery being attached despite it having seemingly gone bad causing a malfunction? Or is there something bigger going on within the AC power jack? Since I've never run the computer on battery power the charge has never been allowed to dissipate. That is the only reason I can think that it would have gone bad if it is simply the battery. But if that were true why wouldn't the machine turn on when I had the good battery from my dad's machine plugged in. Thank you for taking the time to read my question and any help would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

Do you get the white screen issue when you have an external screen connected to your notebook?

First I would say that your battery is dead, but since you tried your father's battery in your notebook and then you couldn't start the notebook, then it could be a antoher issue that you don't know about.

What is the temp on the GPU when the screen goes blank?
You could try to:
    Turn your notebook completly off, take out the battery, hold down powerbutton for 30-45 sec.

I will not suspect a bad RAM here, but you could try to take them out and insert them, and see if that helps.

Since this is a ATI GPU, have you flashed the vBIOS and BIOS to the latest versions ?

Also if this turns out to be a dead battery then the notebook should turn on with the other battery that you have tried....

I hope you get this fixed! 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Do you get the white screen issue when you have an external screen connected to your notebook?

No I do not use an external screen. It's the laptop's screen.

dstrakele wrote:
You also did not report that the battery or power adapter was extremely hot to the touch. I would expect that if there was a problem with these components.

Well the adapter was hot but I assume that was because it had been on all day. Also, I forgot to mention that I put the battery from my laptop into my dad's laptop with his adapter and it still had the red LED on and said the battery had a problem and to consider replacing it. Then I switched his battery back in while it was still turned on and the LED changed back to green and it said fully charged. So it would seem there definitely has to be something wrong with my battery. I don't know if having it attached to the laptop could have caused a short if it's bad. That may be the cause. Part of the reason I asked was because I used to have a desktop computer and the power supply went bad on it. Before it went completely bad the screen would blank out causing me to try to reboot it and it'd take a few minutes before the computer would turn back on before it completely burnt out. So it seemed similar to what was happening here only with a battery and a white screen. I'll continue running the laptop without a battery attached and see if the white screen occurs again. Perhaps the reason it did not turn back on right away was an overheat. I'll let you guys know what happens and I appreciate your help. Thanks very much.

dstrakele
Level 14
My suspicion is the red LED indicates a charging system problem on the laptop. This problem may reside in the battery, power adapter, or motherboard. However, since you did a good job troubleshooting with another battery and power adapter, it is likely you've isolated the problem to the motherboard.

You also did not report that the battery or power adapter was extremely hot to the touch. I would expect that if there was a problem with these components.

I'm uncertain if your "White Screen" issue is related to this problem, but it is possible if there is some sort of electrical short in the motherboard.

I also am uncertain if these problems relate to your issue with the "Enter" key... ;>{)>
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele
Level 14
From your additional information it sounds more like a bad battery with a possible overheat issue to explain why your laptop wouldn't start when you replaced both your battery and power adapter from your Dad's laptop.

The heat from gameplay and age eventually reduce the efficiency of the thermal paste used to transfer heat from the CPU and GPU. I'd recommend blowing out the fan exhausts with compressed gas to try and reduce operating temperatures.

You didn't do anything wrong to cause the battery failure. Some go bad before their time and you did have it for over a year. If you consistently have your system plugged in to AC power, it may be worthwhile NOT to use a battery. See http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/Battery_max.htm for more information.

It is DEFINITELY worthwhile to check CPU and GPU temperatures on your laptop. I recommend running HWINFO64 and configuring it to log CPU and GPU temperatures in Centigrade. This way, when you run into the "white screen" issue, you can view the log to see the maximum temperatures that were recorded once you can restart your laptop.

Check your CPU and GPU temperatures at idle (when you've just booted the system and have no applications running except for the HWINFO64 utility. If they exceed 50 C after you've done your best to blow out dust from the fan exhausts, your system may be in need of a repaste.

HWINFO64 will also display information about your battery. What does it report for "Wear Level"?

Alright, it's definitely worth doing regardless. Where can I get/find this HWIN64 program? I think my dad already had something similar on his laptop because his was overheating earlier.

dstrakele
Level 14
Try this - In your browser, go to Google and enter "HWINFO64 Download" into the Search box. Click on the link in the first hit.

Okay well it's been a few days and I didn't get the white screen for awhile but it started again last night. I got a GPU temperature gauge and it seems like when I'm playing the game the temp gets all the way up to 110 C (I assume that's not acceptable. I have ATI Radeon HD 5800 card). When I first turn the computer on its 60 C but when idle it seems to be at 80 C. It is hot in my house so I'm sure that doesn't help. I have a cooling fan under the laptop and a normal fan blowing on the machine but it doesn't seem to help. So all I can think to do is let it cool down every so often by turning it off or getting a desktop computer with a professional cooling system. Even putting League of Legends on the lowest graphical settings doesn't change the temperature. It increases the FPS obviously but that's not what I'm going for. Any ideas?

dstrakele
Level 14
Your temperatures are too high. Have you blown out your fan exhausts with compressed gas? If so, a repaste is likely to be on your "To Do" list.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Rea... is a good thread to read on this subject.

Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it. That is probably what needs to be done seeing as how I've had the laptop for a year.