cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SW Keyboard Problems!

chimeratx
Level 7
Hello everyone, I bought my G53 last year, and had problems with its keyboard since then. It has the latest BIOS, lates ATK, latest everything, but still whenever I type it drops keystrokes and I can't type properly or even game for that matter, should I send it back for them to change the keyboard for a new one or is there something I'm missing? Last time I sent it there they told me it was because the keyboard was backlit, what made it harder to type on, which I think is wrong.
18 REPLIES 18

dstrakele
Level 14
chimeratx wrote:
Last time I sent it there they told me it was because the keyboard was backlit, what made it harder to type on, which I think is wrong.

What a crock!! Can you believe those guys? Where do they find 'em?

Aside from updating the BIOS and ATK Package, here are some additional things you could try to eliminate missed keystrokes:

1) Eliminate DPC Latency. Install Atheros Wireless Network Adapter driver version 9.2.1.432 or later if you have that WiFi card. The stock driver has BAD DPC Latency. Consider installing DPC Latency Checker. There may be other drivers on your system contributing to latency which will cause keyboard lag and possibly missed keystrokes.

2) Configure your Browser to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. It may help when you are typing in a Browser window.

3) In Keyboard Properties, reduce "Repeat delay:" by moving the slider all the way to the right towards "Short". Then increase "Repeat rate:" also be moving the slider to the right towards "Fast" to the point where you start typing inadvertent double characters. Then back it off a scosh, so you only type double characters if you mean to...

If that doesn't do the trick, you may have an actual hardware issue. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9245-Cause-of-unresponsive-sluggish-keys-on-G74
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
What a crock!! Can you believe those guys? Where do they find 'em?

Well I sent it to the guys who sold me, who actually are resellers, so they're not from asus itself. Still it was not nice of them.

Thank you for the quick and complete response, I'll look into all that!

EDIT: Hmm, I started using DPC Latency Checker. At first it was fine, but then it went up and I got this message: "Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc."

dstrakele
Level 14
Yep - that is how you troubleshoot with the utility. How high (what color) and frequent are the spikes?

Are you running the ASUS Factory OS with Bloatware or a clean Windows 7 install?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

What did you do about your keyboard problem in the end? I've just recently got my laptop back from having the whole not powering on because of shielding problem... Now I seem to be getting keyboard problems. And the other night I thought my laptop had crashed only to find that if I plugged in an external keyboard and mouse it was just that the touchpad & keyboard had stopped working..

Time to RMA again!? I'm seriously looking forward to selling this laptop and it's only 3months old 😞

seilcho7
Level 9
I have same problem.
I did a lot of research about this topic.
Found out that it's problem with synaptics touchpad driver.
If you uninstall snaptics touchpad driver, keyboard works fine. BUT you cannot disable touchpad while typing without synaptics driver.
So annoying!
I decided to live this this keystroke skipping issue...... i hope asus release new bios or something...
BTW, if you disable touchpad from your bios option, the touchpad is disabled while you are typing, but need to restart and go to bios settings again to enable touchpad.....

fuzon1337
Level 10
If you're not on the run with the laptop, then the touchpad will be turned off when you connect a external mouse on the notebook. Not sure if you have that issue...

But which driver have you tried for the synaptics touchpad since you say that you can not disable it?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Interesting... I'll try another version of the touchpad drivers tonight. In regards to BIOS updates, heh I won't hold my breath it seems to far ASUS have moved on from this laptop and don't seem to update anything in regards to drivers or BIOS updates 🙂

As I said before I can't wait to sell this once I've moved countries so I can build my own desktop and if I have problems simply replace the parts 🙂

skoobiedoo wrote:
Interesting... I'll try another version of the touchpad drivers tonight. In regards to BIOS updates, heh I won't hold my breath it seems to far ASUS have moved on from this laptop and don't seem to update anything in regards to drivers or BIOS updates 🙂

As I said before I can't wait to sell this once I've moved countries so I can build my own desktop and if I have problems simply replace the parts 🙂

Be sure to install the right touchpad drivers! 😉 I'm not sure if that notbook is like the G74 with either Synaptics or Syntellic drivers.
I installed Synaptics 15.3.17.0 from this thread and it wokrs perfect after yesterday when the touchpad went crazy without disabling (when connected with external mouse) and the FN-key didn't work 😛
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

skoobiedoo
Level 7
Heh just went and checked on ASUS Support site... only have one set of drivers I can try... guess I'm not going to have any luck rolling back to another version 🙂 Perhaps the buyer won't pick up on the fault 😛

Wonder if I should just go directly to the source and download from Synaptics website?