cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue screen of death, help please.

-DDKOX
Level 7
Hi, I don´t know if i´m posting this on the right section, I apologize if I am, but i´m quite worried about this problem of mine with my Asus G53sx. I bought the laptop in January and since then it was working very well for me. A couple of months back I started having these blue screen of death crashes and with time these crashes have become more often. The error says "INVALID_KERNEL" (something like that) and then it just restarts itself. This has happened to me while working on projects for Collage and my Job. It´s becoming quite frustrating since I have no clue when will it restart itself again. I´ve read many threads on different forums, already updated the Nvidia drivers more than once and already saw the Microsoft event log and still no luck. This is one of my last hopes, to see if I can get any help from the same notebook users or any Asus developer. Hope you can understand the impotence of buying a decent notebook expecting it to last and having these kinds of issues within 3 months of use. Hope to hear from somebody soon. Thanks in advance.

PS: Computer specs: Windows 7 home premium (64bit) - Intel core i7 (2.00 ghz) - Nvidia GeForce GTX 560m (2gb GDDR5)
24 REPLIES 24

dstrakele
Level 14
I think examining the BSOD's in more detail could help. Download BlueScreenView from Nirsoft and run it. Then post a screenshot of the results that displays the minidump filename, the date/time of the crash, the basic crash information displayed in the blue screen (Bug Check Code and 4 parameters), and the details of the driver or module that possibly caused the crash (filename, product name, file description, and file version).

I believe you may need to have at least 5 posts before you can upload a screen shot - so start posting.

1) Tell us in as much detail as possible what you do to reproduce the BSOD. What applications are running? What are you doing in those applications? etc. etc.

2) What Antivirus, AntiMalWare, Firewall, Disk Management, or Remote Access software have you installed to your system?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Already download it and running it. It says 0 crashes though. Do I just have to wait for the blue screen to happen again? or can I just gather the information right away?

The blue screen happends while i´m watching videos on youtube, watching movies, online streamings, playing games (only play PES 12, Call of duty MW 3 and Skyrim). I study industrial design so when I´m modeling something in 3d or rendering it still happens. I mostly have the rest on default, the Avast anti virus that came with the pc, along with all the other components.

-DDKOX wrote:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Already download it and running it. It says 0 crashes though. Do I just have to wait for the blue screen to happen again? or can I just gather the information right away?

BlueScreenView reads the memory dump files in the C:\WINDOWS\minidump directory. Do you have any files in that directory?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263 discusses how to configure Windows to capture small memory dump files. That is the Windows 7 default, but you could see if it has been changed.

Are you sure about the Avast Antivirus? The G74SX ships with a trial of Trend Micro Antivirus. I would guess the G53SX would have the same. If Trend and Avast are both running on your system, that could create problems.

I tried to access the minidump directory but it says I dont have permission to access that file. After that it opens the directory and It´s empty. About the Anti virus I think your right, since I bought mine from a place where they had to import it from the states (Since in South America there aren´t too many places where to buy the G series directly from). After unpacking it I had to wait for a couple of hours for the programmer to install some basic programs. One of them was the Avast anti virus I suppose.

I had the same problem two days ago. The system crashed with the BSOD immediately after the windows 7 logo and before my desktop would come up. Safemode same thing. "last known good config settings" same thing. Windows install disk startup repair same thing. System restore using install disk same thing. I thought my hard drive failed so I put it into my other desktop as a slave. Worked fine. Memory test passed fine. So I disabled automatic restart upon system failure and googled the error code and found that it was a rare system corruption that mimiced a hardware failure. So I reinstalled windows on the same hard drive and it put my old windows in a folder called old. There I transferred my user account files (My Documents, Pictures, Favorites... etc) and I am in the process of reinstalling all of my programs.

While re-installing my drivers I found that ASUS very recently updated alot of the motherboard chipset drivers. I am unaware if this is the problem but everyone that has posted this issue on different forums (Try googling Blue Screen of Death Error and then refine the search by past 24 hours) have all been people with ASUS motherboards.

So before everyone gets their panties in a bunch look around and see if others are suddenly having a similar problem.

Good luck.

I had the same problem two days ago. The system crashed with the BSOD immediately after the windows 7 logo and before my desktop would come up. Safemode same thing. "last known good config settings" same thing. Windows install disk startup repair same thing. System restore using install disk same thing. I thought my hard drive failed so I put it into my other desktop as a slave. Worked fine. Memory test passed fine. So I disabled automatic restart upon system failure and googled the error code and found that it was a rare system corruption that mimiced a hardware failure. So I reinstalled windows on the same hard drive and it put my old windows in a folder called old. There I transferred my user account files (My Documents, Pictures, Favorites... etc) and I am in the process of reinstalling all of my programs.

I have encountered the same problem but do you know any other ways to fix the BSOD without putting hard drive into other desktop? I cannot open my ASUS laptop since Oct. 2013.

dstrakele
Level 14
I suspect the \minidump directory IS empty since BlueScreenView reports no crashes. Be sure Windows 7 is configured to capture a small memory dump. Here is a better article with screen shots: http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

dstrakele
Level 14
-DDKOX wrote:
A couple of months back I started having these blue screen of death crashes and with time these crashes have become more often.

The boxers were getting a little wedged...