cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus support problems (G53JW-XT1 motherboard failure)

Gorman
Level 12
Asus has put me in an uncomfortable position; my G53JW-XT1 has failed 3 times in under a year with the same issue (the failure is motherboard related (to do with the power plug being very poorly manufactured)), the repair shop told me they replaced the part but it is a known issue with the model and it will just happen again (true to their word it happened again and again!). After talking to Asus support multiple times they told me that they would not offer a refund despite knowingly selling faulty products, but they would offer a replacement for an identical model (the repair shop had a good laugh at this idea!).

What should I do about this? Should I keep spending time and effort and money to get it repaired every 3-4 months until the warranty runs out? A couple of hour long drives plus a week of wait time plus finding the time to take it in to the shop in the first place really adds up, I am not sure that it is worth it.

Has anyone had any similarly frustrating experiences with Asus support or is this an isolated incident? How would you resolve this issue?
4 REPLIES 4

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi and Welcome to the ROG forum 🙂

I'm sorry to read that you have this issue and have to send it in to get it fixed.

If you choose to get an identical model then just be sure to back up your files if you have to send in your notebook.
or
If you still want to have your notebook you have to live with the fact the power pin that is soldered on the MB easly breaks off.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Thanks for the welcome - I wish I could have started off with a happier post but oh well 😛

I have already backed up all my files - the first time it was taken in they tried to boot it without the HDD connected (my OS is on an SSD but my user directories are on the HDD) so it messed things up big time. The second time they somehow screwed up the bios and my drivers (I'm still not sure of the relationship between a power plug and graphics card drivers!). The third time they managed to corrupt my master boot record and magically scrambled my entire install! It seems like they really put that "not responsible for data loss or damage" clause to good use!

I would say the soldering the pin back on would void my warranty, so I will keep that as the reserve plan (perhaps I will just permanently affix the plug). Thanks for the suggestion!

fuzon1337
Level 10
Ouch! How is that even possible?

As I understand everytime you have sent in your notebook is because of MB failure, but now with extra information, it sounds like they don't know what they're doing :S

You could pm @MarshallR and ask him what to do. Ofcourse the best would be to get a new notebook, but then you never know if you get a new issue that you haven't dealt with before.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

I have no idea how it is possible really! Perhaps they did something funky when trying to test it out, who knows what goes on in those repair shops!

Yes, every time it has gone in has been for the same issue - actually to be more precise the first and second times were because the pin snapped off, the third time the entire mobo or perhaps just the plug was very loose causing it to break where it attaches to the board. Apparently this still counts as "the same failure" since Asus said they would inspect it to see if it qualified for replacement.

The part that discourages me from wanting a new one is because the repair center told me the issue was not only a design fault but also very common - what point is it it get another if it will also break! However they said they wouldn't give me a different model or a refund so my choice is to get a replacement or get a repair, neither is appealing...

I will PM MarshallR, thanks for the suggestion 🙂