cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for SSD opinions

Retired
Not applicable
I'm wondering what SSDs folks are using with their CHIV Formula. I was looking at a RAID 0 with Corsair F60 x2 or possibly OCZ Vortex/Agility 2 60 x2. I'm also looking into the Revo x2 100G but can't find anything that says ASUS released a bios that supports that one.

My current build:
Antec 900
CHIV Formula
Phenom II 1090T BE
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5
EvGA 8800 Ultra (PhysX)
G.Skill Ripjaws 4Gb CL7
WD VRaptors 150Gb x2
Cougar SX850 Sli/xFire Modular PSU

Future upgrades-
Corsair 600t
Corsair H70 heatsink
G.Skill Flares 2000 16Gb

Inputs, opinions, and arguments welcomed for the following:
EvGA GTX 570 or Radeon HD 6950 (w/6970 bios)
SSD for Raid 0(opinions/inputs apreciated)
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Just be aware that when you abstract SSD's into a RAID configuration you will no longer have TRIM support and your performance will decrease.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Forgot about TRIM. With that said, then the best thing for performance would probably be.... a) get a 32gb SSD for OS and put everything else on the Vraptors in RAID 0, b) get 80-90bg SSD and put both OS and games on it and have the Vraptors as storage, or c) keep the OS on the Vraptors in Raid 0 and buy a 80-90 Gb SSD and put all my games on that.

xeromist
Based on feedback from friends who use SSD's putting the OS on there and using fast HDD's in RAID is your best bet. Trying to fit all of your games on such a small drive is difficult so unless you want to be uninstalling and moving games once they are off of your frequently played list it would be best to just install them where they will end up. Also, SSD shines on access times for things like system files during boot up but large texture and media files will get no comparative benefit because you still get awesome throughput with some good HDD's.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you, you've been most helpful. Now I need to do more research on my SSD selection...

looking at either Corsair Force F60 or Mushkin Callisto deluxe 60GB. Both priced the same on NE.

kewlbreze wrote:
Thank you, you've been most helpful. Now I need to do more research on my SSD selection...

looking at either Corsair Force F60 or Mushkin Callisto deluxe 60GB. Both priced the same on NE.

Hi mate I have a crucial c300 64gb gives a windows experience of 7.9 that said soon as you have a crash or need to reinstall win then that's the end of that lol,mine crashed went to 5.9 then low level formatted it and now it's 7.8 but they are really fast and I have wd black 1tb 6gb sec drive for gaming.
[img" TARGET="_blank">http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2347743" TARGET="_blank">[imghttp://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2347743.png[/img]"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]