Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Striker Extreme & PCI-E booting?

Retired
Not applicable
Hello,
I've just registered to ask this question, so here it goes:
I would like to buy a PCI-E SSD (OCZ OCZSSDPX 1RVDX0100), and obviously I'd like to use it to boot from, could someone confirm or deny wether this is possible on a Striker Extreme motherboard?

Now I think this post mentions the motherboard in the list where it's possible, it also says that the latest update is needed, which would be 2002, I now have 1901, which is the previous one in the list. PCI-E is not an option in the boot list, perhaps someone with a Striker Extreme motherboard and the 2002 BIOS update could confirm that PCI-E actually is an option in the boot list?
I don't really want to update the BIOS if its not neccassary, ran into some trouble the last time i did that...

EDIT: I've gone ahead and bought the RevoDrive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on it. I can confirm the RevoDrive does work on the Striker Extreme motherboard, and it can boot from the RevoDrive, the RevoDrive shows up in the 'Hard Disks' list under the Boot tab as a SCSI drive. Let me also add, Windows boots lightning fast 🙂 I'd have to time it, but im guessing around 10 seconds!
13 REPLIES 13

xeromist
Are you talking about the 680i Striker or the 790i Striker II? I find that most people referring to the Striker boards are actually thinking about the II.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
hello Xeromist, no, the Striker II wasn't even out when I got this board, it's just Striker Extreme. I actually dug out the manual for reference, it says:

Chipset: nVidia nForce 680i SLI (Supports SLI-ready memory technology)

xeromist
That is the same board that I have. I will try to remember to look in the BIOS when I get home tonight. If I don't put an update here by tomorrow please bump it to remind me.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Awesome, thanks man, you have the latest BIOS v 2002 then, right?

xeromist
Aw crap, sorry. I forgot that I changed to a p5n-t when I went 3-way SLI. Unfortunately I sold my Striker board a while back. Hopefully someone else has what you need.

Retired
Not applicable
Allright, thanks anyway, hopefully someone else could help me out?

Retired
Not applicable
N/m, i've bought the RevoDrive and it works and I can boot Windows 7 from it 🙂

xeromist
Sweet! No BIOS update needed?

Retired
Not applicable
No, aqs I said I had previously updated from the factory installed 1301 to 1901. I'd have thought that I'd have to upgrade to 2002, the latest, but, hasnt been neccassary 😉