cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic anomalies

walks13
Level 7
Hello all,

I just picked up my G74SX- TZ358V and right out of the box I noticed while browsing web pages a lot of graphic anomalies popping up all over the screen, pages tearing, colored squares and bars popping up.

I've installed and played a few games (WoW, ME3), and while ME3 seems to run OK, WoW eventually turns into a technicolor landscape and becomes unplayable.

I upgraded to the newest Geforce drivers (v.296) and the problem got infinitely worse, whether browsing through web pages or playing games, the screen goes black and I get a message saying the "Windows NVIDIA kernel mode driver v.296 has stopped working...successfully recovered", this happens over and over.
Eventually I rolled back to v.285 drivers and the same issue happens as the v.296 drivers, except I noticed this time that while watching Youtube videos not only does the whole screen get a black- chequered like appearance (this happened with the original drivers too) this time audio goes crazy as well, the same error message pops up.

Finally, I rolled back to the drivers that shipped with the product, and the device doesn't stop working anymore, but all the strange graphical anomalies make a return.

Planning to make a call to ASUS Thursday/Friday (today is a public holiday), was interested to get other people's thoughts/feedback.

Thanks for you time.
5 REPLIES 5

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
Try this, Click here. Scroll down to Method 3. You can try the other if you'd like but I suggest you try #3 first. If that doesn't work try a Windows Restore by pressing I think F9 ( Don't quote me ) during the asus boot up screen and doing a complete restore. If your issue persists you will have to send it in.
ASUS g74SX-XT1

dstrakele
Level 14
I would attempt an ASUS Factory Restore. Press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and follow the directions. Be patient, as the laptop will reboot several times. Once the process has completed, go through setup, choose your language, etc.

Do not install any programs or update any drivers. Browse web pages and attempt to reproduce your issue. If you cannot reproduce it, load up some games and see if you can reproduce any video problems.

If you are successful in reproducing the video issues, I recommend contacting your retailer to exchange your defective laptop for a new unit.

Don't let anyone talk you into an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) where the laptop is sent to ASUS for repairs. You want to get rid of the defective laptop and get one without issues. Once you choose to RMA, the laptop (with all of its problems) is now YOURS. You must rely on ASUS to repair it and be without a laptop while they do so.

If you cannot exchange the laptop for a new unit (i.e. it is no longer in stock), return your defective laptop for a refund. You can then purchase another laptop from a different retailer or purchase a different system. The key point is not being stuck with a defective laptop right out of the box.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
Yes, returning it to the vendor that is the preferred method. RMA is a hassle and quite time consuming and doesn't always produce expected results.
ASUS g74SX-XT1

Kind of scary though, I've gotten that error twice. Had random artifacting at the bottom of my screen 3 times. Internet explorer only and it happens randomly. I really hope it doesn't turn into this issue.
ASUS g74SX-XT1

Thanks for your tips guys, tried a number of the suggestions and after eventually doing the ASUS Factory Restore, the anomalies and artefacts are still appearing on the screen during movies and web browsing; time to don the battle-garb and head back to the retailer for a refund/replacement.

Much appreciated.