cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V USB issues

FBRBDavis
Level 7
While the CHV is far from my first ASUS board or even my first ROG board, this is the first time I've ever encountered an issue like this.. The system boots with no issues, and runs near flawlessly.. However, my Logitech G5 USB mouse continually drops connection with the system and also has issues maintaining its settings when it does stay connected.. I have tested the mouse on my old ASUS Crosshair 2 780a board, my ASUS Crosshair 590SLI board, and my wife's ASUS M3N78-Pro board with no issues, so that should rule out any problems with the mouse itself.. I have installed all of the latest drivers and other related software for the mouse, but still continue to have the problem..

No other devices that are connected via USB have the issue individually.. However, I have had ALL of my USB devices drop out a few times.. My system specs are listed below in hopes of pinpointing a possible issue.. I will note that there are no temperature issues and voltages have been monitored with no problems..

Cooler Master Stacker 832 Case
Cooler Master 1200w Silent Pro GOLD PSU
ASUS Crosshair V Motherboard BIOS Revision 1003
AMD FX-8150 CPU w/ Liquid Cooling Solution
16GB ( 4x4GB kit ) G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3-2133 RAM
2x ASUS GTX460 DirectCU 1GB GPU in SLI to Matrox TH2Go Digital to 3x ASUS VW224U Monitors
7" Touchscreen Monitor via second DVI on main GPU
Corsair 128GB Sata 6.0GB/s SSD
5x Sata 3.0GB/s HDs totalling almost 7TB storage
ASUS Sata DVD-Burner

USB Devices:

Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G13 Gameboard ( Plugged into G19 )
Natural Point TrackIR4 ( Plugged into G19 )
Logitech DFGT Wheel w/ ECCI Pedals
Matrox TH2Go Digital Edition
ASUS ROG Connect Cable to my Netbook
Canon Pixma Printer
*LG Portable DVD-Burner
*Apple iPhone Charge/Sync Cable
*USB Flash Drives

* - Denotes a device that is not always connected

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated..
6 REPLIES 6

chrsplmr
Level 18
This is OS - not the motherboard. Since WinForEver.
It particularly doesnt like when you change inputs
between reboots .. it's confusing to a poor old operating system.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Sounds like the port you have that plugged into has too much on it. You can go into the Device Manager and click on the USB ROOT HUB's and check to see if your using too much power, 500mA is the Max for any single HUB. Here's a picture of mine:

If your running out of power I'd suggest using a Powered USB Switch like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817220005

Thanks for the input on the USB power usage.. I checked all of the USB Root Hubs that are available, and the only item nearing the 500mA mark is the TripleHead2Go unit, which actually states that it needs 500mA.. No other hub is requiring more than 200mA for various devices.. I will do a little more checking and even try locating some devices in different locations to see if that improves the situation.. For now, it's off to work for a 12-hour shift..

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Your welcome, and I hope you get it sorted out.

I thought I'd reply real quick since I just got home from work with a minor update..

One thing I did last night was to turn off the Power Management function that would allow the USB ports to be powered down when supposedly not in use.. As of this post, I have yet to see any issues with my USB ports, especially with the mouse.. Is it possible that something that ridiculously simple could have caused all of this grief?? LOL!!

I also failed to note that I was running Windows 7 64-bit in my original post.. Duh..

I'll continue to monitor everything and report back with any information, whether good or bad, in the hopes that it might help someone else down the line..

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Yes it could....but computers are like people...Ridiculously Complicated but Elegant and Sturdy at the same time. If the right program is enabled they probably would talk to us as well....I would be afraid to hear that conversation...lol.. anyway what caught my eye was you had multiple items plugged into each other and then into one port. when you look at it that way the new port on the first item tells the Main port how much power it needed (100mA) but that will increase as you plug more into that chain and really quick you have KB1(100mA), KB2(100mA), Mouse1(100mA), Mouse2(200mA)...Right here your at the max amps the poor little first port can handle....plus the fact that add-on USB Hubs are more and more coming out Non-Powered make people think they can just plug 250 devices in and all is good...so a little thing like a bad setting in Power manager can through the whole thing out of whack...

I know it's a long discussion of why such a little thing can mess things up so much, but you see the point.