cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ah crap... Did I buy the wrong memory for a p8p67 pro ? Help please.

Retired
Not applicable
Well, I upgraded to a asus p8p67 pro and a i7-2600k. The memory I chose to go with this was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233147&cm_re=corsair_vengeance-_-20-233-147...

Corsair vengeance Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 9-9-9-24 timings two 4g sticks dual channel 1.5v and it says its Designed specifically for the latest CPUs as well as the 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel Core processor family.

Well, Everything is still shipping over here and will arrive here in a few days time. I've been hearing bad things about memory so I decided to look at the QVL (qualified vendor list) for the memory and I did not see the corsair vengeance model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 on the list.

Am I going to have problems in the future or will this ram work with this board?
8 REPLIES 8

Retired
Not applicable
Shelledfade wrote:
Well, I upgraded to a asus p8p67 pro and a i7-2600k. The memory I chose to go with this was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233147&cm_re=corsair_vengeance-_-20-233-147...

Corsair vengeance Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 9-9-9-24 timings two 4g sticks dual channel 1.5v and it says its Designed specifically for the latest CPUs as well as the 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel Core processor family.

Well, Everything is still shipping over here and will arrive here in a few days time. I've been hearing bad things about memory so I decided to look at the QVL (qualified vendor list) for the memory and I did not see the corsair vengeance model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 on the list.

Am I going to have problems in the future or will this ram work with this board?

I seem to be having memory issues as well. I bought 4 2g sticks with the same timing as yours made by a generic vendor. I bought them at the local microcenter. The bios saw all 8g until yesterday afternoon. I came home from work and it was only seeing 4g. All of the memory sticks work individually and no matter what combination I put them in the most the bios will ever see is 2g or 4g depending on how many sticks I have in of course. You mentioned youve been hearing bad things about memory. Could you explain a bit more???

hchild74 wrote:
I seem to be having memory issues as well. I bought 4 2g sticks with the same timing as yours made by a generic vendor. I bought them at the local microcenter. The bios saw all 8g until yesterday afternoon. I came home from work and it was only seeing 4g. All of the memory sticks work individually and no matter what combination I put them in the most the bios will ever see is 2g or 4g depending on how many sticks I have in of course. You mentioned youve been hearing bad things about memory. Could you explain a bit more???

One of the problems is that most DDR3 requires 1.65v to operate at rated speed and the newer memory controllers in the Sandy Bridge chips are designed for memory that operates at 1.5V. It's possible that your generic memory was taxing the memory controller and it is now damaged. But you may want to try some other DIMMS to see if they work differently.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
One of the problems is that most DDR3 requires 1.65v to operate at rated speed and the newer memory controllers in the Sandy Bridge chips are designed for memory that operates at 1.5V. It's possible that your generic memory was taxing the memory controller and it is now damaged. But you may want to try some other DIMMS to see if they work differently.

My DDR3 is 1.5V. However, the mobo is also seeing it as 1373 instead of 1333 for some reason. If I go in and change it and do a save and reset it will see all 8g. When I power down and start back up it goes back to seeing 4g at 1373 for some reason. I have also tried to update the bios via the internet with the AI suit software. Ive read in a few other forums to do so. It just keeps telling me that the proper file image is not on the server (not sure what that means). BTW im really not trying to hijack this thead. Im just looking for some answers.

Thanks

xeromist
The QVL is only the ones that have been tested to date. Most manufacturers have a relatively small department that does this testing so it will take a while to test even the popular ones. Also, they need to have a sample to test with and if the memory manufacturer didn't send a sample it cannot be added to the QVL.

Basically the QVL is an assurance that the memory is compatible at the rated speed and voltage but that does not mean that other memory will not work.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
Well, Shelledfade hasn't come back so perhaps that issue was resolved somehow. Your issue fits with the title so I think it should be OK here.

The only thing I can recommend is to check and see if XMP is turned on for your memory. You don't want it automatically setting things if it can't do it right. If you've turned it off and you still can't get it to keep your settings then there is some other issue with the BIOS.

As to getting the BIOS updated, you may need to use the DOS updater or try downloading the image and using the Windows updater with a local image file rather than trying to retrieve it from the server on the fly.

Retired
Not applicable
I'm have the exact same issue with the ASUS P8P67PRO and Cosair Vengeance. Was anyone able to find a solution???

This would be one of the rare cases of settings not being saved when using one of the newer BIOS's. After the flash, did you remove the power cord from the PSU & clear CMOS? When exiting BIOS after making the setting changes, hitting F10, & hitting Enter with the Yes highlighted on the Save & Reset popup? BIOS LED off or have any blink activity? Recommend running everything at default/auto to establish if it will even run stable this way

Retired
Not applicable
Informative thread, thanks. I actually own this board and 8GB of the same RAM as the OP. I am just waiting to acquire a 2600k. I'll look for this and report if does the same thing or not. If so I'll try out turning off XMP to do a manual setting as you suggested xeromist.