My spec is
    Asus M5A97-EVO
    AMD phenom ii x4 810
    8G Kit 1600 ripjaws x
    1x sdd, 1x 2tb hhd, 1x dvd drive
    watercool ready
    and aslo want a sli certifield psu cause might upgrade to GTX650

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

OK, FR3D1, slowly but certainly getting there...

Now, would you share with us what graphic card are you using in this system? Or it's just a build plan and you are really waiting for release of GTX 650? I'm asking this, because the graphic card is one of the main power drawing component of the system - without knowing what you have, it's hard to pick up a PSU...

Also, observed in your other thread that you're intending to get one GTX 650. Are you aware that in order to have SLI, you need at least two graphic cards? Just saying... As I explained above, it does matter what type and how many graphic cards are in your system when you are looking for a PSU.

In your previous post in this tread (#49) you mentioned "save electric" among your expectation from the PSU. I feel, here you need some clarification... The PSU can be electric saver in only one way: by being highly efficient. Other than that, the electric consumption is determined by your other components - i.e. if your system draws let's say 500W, doesn't really matter if you're using a 600W or 1200W PSU, the consumption will be the same. Regarding the efficiency, there are several choices: 80 plus (80%), 80 plus bronze (82%), 80 plus silver (85%), 80 plus gold (87%), 80 plus platinum (90%). As you can see, there is a max 10% difference between the min (I don't even take in consideration no-name PSU's with efficiency lower than 80% - you should avoid them too) and max. However, in their price tag certainly is a bigger difference. So, you have to decide on this.

So, getting back to your initial question, it also would be helpful to know what for do you need this system? What type of applications will you run, gaming, simple working (internet browsing, MS Office) or more serious work (Adobe Photoshop, 3D rendering, video editing)? Are you planning to overclock?

As you can see, more input needed... Right now, without a graphic card (based on the components you listed) you are below 300W of power draw. Even if I take the initiative and say you would overclock and use two GTX 680s you would be around 600W... - with two GTX 650s certainly below this. So, give us more info and we can continue!

ROG Enthusiast Array

since we hav no spec about the gtx650 how about gt560ti( casue it similar) and would it need at least 800w psu for my system if i use two gtx560ti? i only use for gaming mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by FR3D1 View Post
    since we hav no spec about the gtx650 how about gt560ti( casue it similar) and would it need at least 800w psu for my system if i use two gtx560ti? i only use for gaming mainly.
    800 would be plenty. The GTX650 will be more efficient and draw less power than a 560ti or maybe even the gtx550. In either case 800 on the high end I wouldnt go any higher. At the expense of watts i'd just find a good deal on a 750 watt unit. Corsair, Seasonic, heck think even XFX, and Antec are making good power supplies these days. Corsair has a great 750watt professional modular silver rated power supply for about 130 if you shop around its a very nice unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010

i've used one it was impressive.
    Last edited by XZEMi; 05-03-2012 at 05:10 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

but the bad thing is i liv in australia the only good shop i found is msy but it doesnt hav everything u can try take a look @ msy.com.au

Banned Array

"For instance you dont want a seasonic gold modular power supply in a small form case because it will not always run its fan and evacuate the heat. You would be better off getting a cheaper supply that has a fan constantly running."

Anyone who would use their power supply as a case fan is not too smart imo. Drawing all the hot air in a case into the power supply that also makes heat is down right dumb.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

"Anyone who would use their power supply as a case fan is not too smart imo." - I agree with you, speed, just don't forget the case design! The older cases are designed with the PSU place on the top, exhausting. Or like XZEMi's case (post #36 in this thread). So, all depends on the case you're using and/or your willingness to do some modding...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6