cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSI 6970 unlock not working on my Asus Maximus Gene V

kdu
Level 7
So this is a puzzeler for me, for I've been using the unlocked 6950 card for over a year now with no issues on my older x58 platform. Put together my new z77 setup yesterday, everything turns on but found no video output on my monitors.

So after doing some basic troubleshooting, I randomly flip the bios switch back to the read-only 6950 bios and everything works fine... Did some testing by flashing different bios, but I was only able to get it to work if it's a 6950 bios, regardless of the position of the bios switch or version of the 6970 bios.

Does anyone know what can cause something like this? It's almost as if the motherboard bios knows that its a 6950 card and only allow it to work with a 6950 bios. The motherboard is also flashed to the newest bios.

Thanks for any input
25 REPLIES 25

Shamino
how a bout manually setting 'system agent' 'nb pcie' gen 2 gen 2.0 vs auto
?

Shamino wrote:
how a bout manually setting 'system agent' 'nb pcie' gen 2 gen 2.0 vs auto
?

i'll try that when i get home, thanks

tried it on auto, gen2, gen1, still the same issue...

maybe it will be something fixed in the next bios update 😞

I had the same issue here (sapphire 6950)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18397682

thanks for posting this, I finally have a working system. Will let you know if I can fix it.

Retired
Not applicable
So glad I found this thread, I've been pulling my hair out..

Just picked up a Sabertooth z77 and having the same problem, flashed 6950's cause the vga led to come on.

I tried for hours, different power supplies, confirmed the ports were working with an hd 5xxx. Only thing I could think of was the fact that they're flashed to 6970's.

Any fix other than flashing back to 6950's at this point? I'm assuming it's a bios issue.

I contacted asus about the issue yesterday, waiting for a response.

Shamino
yes replicated here
on top of it

Xtreme-Performa
Level 7
Would be sweet if ASUS makes a button to reset BIOS back to it's default... lol... >,< I was impressed with R4E but the one think I noticed with my previous mobo is that P5N-D doesn't have a reset button to reset factory default for BIOS... Which I was wondering why other mobo's don't have it either...
ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000

i'm glad this thread has been able to help some folks out, i also tried several things during troubleshooting prior to finding out that it was the bios switch.

hopefully this can get escalated appropriately up to asus as it's happening to several of their flagship z77 mobos with a very commonly used and popular GPU

Retired
Not applicable
kdu wrote:
i'm glad this thread has been able to help some folks out, i also tried several things during troubleshooting prior to finding out that it was the bios switch.

hopefully this can get escalated appropriately up to asus as it's happening to several of their flagship z77 mobos with a very commonly used and popular GPU

Heck, it wasn't until last night that I even remembered about the bios switch.. Flashed them so long ago I totally forgot..

I'm sure they will fix this quickly as there are a TON of these cards out there and almost all of them are in the hands of enthusiasts.