cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH-BST7 Hard Drive Clicking

Retired
Not applicable
About a month ago, I purchased a G73JH-BST7 with a 640GB Western Digital 5400 RPM Hard Drive. Everything worked fine, but the performance was not quite where I wanted it to be, so I bought a 128GB SSD and moved the original HD to the second slot and converted it to a secondary data drive (no programs, no OS).

Since then, it has been making clicking noises every once in a while. The drive also sounds like it is spinning up and powering down every few minutes. I went into the power profile and told it never to turn the hard drive off, but it is still happening.

The clicking noise especially bothers me as it sounds just like what happens when a drive is failing. However, I haven't experienced any freezes or hangups when loading data off the drive and no other performance issues. Does anyone know what would be causing this and is there any fix? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Chastity
Level 10
Is it a Green model? Could be some power saving feature in the firmware.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I just checked and it's a Scorpio Blue. A feature like that on a WD Green drive would make sense though.

Retired
Not applicable
i belive what youre hearing its the hd parking the heads, i aslso have the same clicking sounds. on a wd 750 in th asus g73jh it was originally ment for my ps3 but had to exchange it becuase it was unsuitable for isos due to slowdown and parking. There might be a utility at wd site that can turn off or reduce the parking of the heads

Retired
Not applicable
I just did a search on Scorpio Blue drives parking their heads and found out that they do indeed aggressively park when not in use. This explains why I never experienced the clicking when it was my system drive as it was almost always in use. There are fixes for the clicking, but all of them void the warranty and warn of possible drive failure.

It looks like I may end up getting a new drive to replace it. The thing works well (albeit slowly) as a system drive, but the clicking drives me crazy as a secondary drive.