Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Having read all that you guys have said im thinking that it doesn’t matter whether I go for 4x8GB or 8x4GB. If I went the 8x4GB route then in a few years I might need to upgrade which would mean removing some of my 4GB ram chips and replacing them? If I go the 4x8GB route then I will have space and in a couple years when it comes to upgrading, it would mean keeping all existing RAM chips and just adding more ram to the remaining empty slots. Is this thinking of mine reasonable? If so, then I’m going to get 4x8GB: EBAY RipJaws RAM
    Thank you to Zka17 for advising to buy RAM that avoids heatsink issues and to Arne Saknussemm for suggesting Ripjawas as the solution.
    Please confirm that the link above is a compatible product so I can confidently press the buy now button. Please also advise what I need to buy in terms of a heat sink. I have warned against water heatsinks as they can ruin my PC is they leak - is this a valid concern? maybe I should just get some seriously powerful fans? feedback appriciated.
    Much love and thanks for all your amazing help!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=425

Go have a look at the link I provided and find your motherboard.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

You will want the Ripjaws Z series not X.

I know from experience they will fit under a Noctua NH-D14 which is (in my opinion) the best aircooler you can buy. It is big though so choose a case carefully........
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 04-28-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: More info

Rockford
    i say u want Dominator.........

ROG Member Array

Mhz ???

I have decided to go for a 16GB kit. so what's the deal with Mhz? I found a bunch of RAM kits on Google shopping the only difference is the price and the Mhz. the more Mhz, the bigger the price tag. Is there a significant advantage? Here is what I have been looking at from RipJaw Z series:

1. G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB : 4 x 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 2133 MHz ( PC3-17000 ) - £101.
    2. G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB : 4 x 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1866 MHz ( PC3-14900 ) - £90
    3. G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB : 4 x 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 ) - £80

Will all of the above fit my motherboard? What difference can I expect from the more expensive RAM?

Thanks again

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    Will all of the above fit my motherboard? What difference can I expect from the more expensive RAM?
    Hard to say without part numbers....but probably.....I think you're looking at the right stuff now....red kits I presume.

The difference is only noticeable in bench-marking...1600 (pc3 12800) is great.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Well I researched mine before purchasing it... I did a research because I was impressed with i7-3960X but costs like $1300.00 bucks so I purchased a i7-3820 also and purchased a RIVE... But basically I just researched informations that's related to compatibility to a LGA 2011 MOBO...

For my build I chose a 2400mhz 8GB DDR3 Kingston because I'm on a budget and figured I'd purchase main componants then later on I can upgrade my Build.

I'm not sure what kind you wanted to build but if it's for extreme performance I'd suggests to purchase 2400mhz DDR3 for examples at a lower mem... after all I purchased mine because I wanted to O.C. it later on once I've got a decent cooling system going on to cool down the O.C. PC componants... after all the main enemy for a O.C. Mobo is heat... since heat damages hardwares...

I'm also a novice builder so I'm not knowledgable in building since my RIVE is also my first self-custom build... My first ASUS performance PC was purchased in ibuypower.com

So I basically studied my old PC P5N-D then do a research the requirements for Rampage IV Extreme. Basically just follow the requirements and it even shows the hardware on the websites that's compatible to RIVE... like I purchased a Phantek heatsink.

And I had to purchase other things that I never thought I would require... like heatsinks and extra fans... since I'm not familiar with liquid cooling... Cos I'm a cautious person when it comes to anything liquid... I don't want to have accidents or leakage... Since water conducts electricity and all... LOL...

At first I was thinking of Corsair H-80 ot H-100 what it suggested but instead I wanted to learn how to O.C. it since I was limited to my P5N-D cos my PSU broke and had to be replaced so a local bestbuy supergeek told me I don't need a high PSU.. which they replaced it with 750watts But then I couldn't overclock my P5N-D with 750watts Corsair... Everytime I O.C.'d it at 20% it keeps restarting and shutting down multiple times... And I recall supergeek technicians said we never seen a PC like NZXT before... I was like "oh.. oooo... I'm in trouble..." Cos I'd expected supergeek to know these things... but I was surprised that in my local area they don't seem to know these custom PCs just a regular office build PCs...

So just basically do what I did... just research the hardwares that's related to the Rampage IV Extreme which is in the website... Like if it has PCIxE and how many SLI's and the spec requirements for other hardware componants...

I guess it was sort off 99% successful for me for a first time custom build myself since I was able to make Win 7 64-bit working... I'm just having problems with my EVGA 560Ti incompatibility... heh heh... At least I can say I don't have a degree unlike my local PC technician supergeek... they don't know the type of MOBO's that can O.C.'s requirement extra wattage helps instead of limited watts that cannot overclock...

And I heard main concerns of 32GB DDR3 is stability... Most softwares required 2GB SDRAM but I dunno why people would want more than 16GB cos I heard about Skyrims that they're still having updates to hold up to 12GB to 16GB of SDRAMs... and I heard they don't support 32GB SDRAMs yet...
    ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
    Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

The only thing I had a problem with my build at first is a black screen due to EVGA 560Ti GTX it doesn't auto-adjust my screen after it restarts after installing Nvidia drivers 296.24

So just give you some heads up since we both have same CPU and MOBO... And if you were to tweak it to overclocking I'd suggests you'd look for hardwares that is able to overclock and cooling system to make sure it stays cool and not overheat... it's basically like a car engine if it overheats it'll breakdown...

I choose Antec Darkfleet-85 because it has 7 120 or was it 150 mm fans to cool it down and also has 3 filters in the front Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF-85_Q.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	8294

So here's an option of a fan cooling like Corsair Obsidian 800d Antec Customer Support said this is not a original design but copied from other Tower ATX Case... But the only thing is that it requires 7 4 Pin outlet for wattage directly to the PSU... I was hoping I could install the fans directly on to the RIVE MOBO.. but the pins are way too small lol... requires a PWM cable... I like the design that I did a little crafting were I made a filter in the top 2 fans like a warehouse type of fan housing the hardware...

So it's basically filtering dust when it turns on... Cos I noticed old PC's tend to get a lot of dusts especially dealing with fan cooling system... But as far as overclocking I don't think fan's no matter how many I have can overclock it too high... unless you live some place colder than a tropical island LOL then cooling fan should be no problem...

Yeah I noticed there's only a few DDR3 that has 2400mhz like Kingston XMP...
    ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
    Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

"so what's the deal with Mhz?" - deadpixel, the MHz is the measuring unit of the frequency. Generally speaking, higher the frequency faster is the RAM. There are also other factors in determining the RAM speed though... one of them is the CAS latency - lower CAS, faster RAM. But, usually as the frequency increases, the CAS will increase too...

So, I'm not sure if you will experience any difference in every day use between 1600MHZ and 2133MHz (or even higher). However, if you're planning to OC, the higher frequency RAM will give you more room to go.

Bottom line, if the money really doesn't matter, go with the 2133MHz, otherwise 1600MHz will be just fine - double, triple, quadruple check if the choosen kit is compatible with your mobo!!!

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    If I went the 8x4GB route then in a few years I might need to upgrade which would mean removing some of my 4GB ram chips and replacing them? If I go the 4x8GB route then I will have space and in a couple years when it comes to upgrading, it would mean keeping all existing RAM chips and just adding more ram to the remaining empty slots. Is this thinking of mine reasonable?
    Zka already addressed the performance aspect pretty well so I'll just say to this that yes your thinking is correct. In fact, sometimes populating all 8 slots can make tuning more difficult. So it would be best to start with 4 slots and then add another kit later once you have the hang of things if you needed more.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast