cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX Black Screen Right after Windows Animation boot page HELP!

Arvizu360
Level 7
Hello there anyone reading this,
I got an Asus G74SX Im very happy with my product,
its a really beautiful laptop
But I have been getting a problem that i have no clue how to resolve it,

PROBLEM/:

My screen goes black after the windows 7 animation and right before the login screen to type in the password. This black Screen lasts for around 20-35 seconds then it makes the windows sound that comes up when the log screen comes up. This only happens sometimes, around 50/50 chance of happening,
it happens when shutting on, or when i resume windows after sleep.

I did 3 clean installs of windows 7 already formating the hard drive completely every time. it seems to work for like a day but then after a day everything happens again and keep getting the black screen.

Please anyone help me... I did something recommended here on the forums..
to remove the batttery and unplug the laptop and any other usb and hold the power buttom for 30 seconds but it didnt work please help 😞
24 REPLIES 24

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi and Welcome to the ROG forum 🙂

Which nVidia driver have you installed?
And how long is it since you bought your notebook?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

dstrakele
Level 14
Do you install the Intel RST driver as part of your clean Windows 7 installation?

If you open the CD/DVD tray, does it prevent loss of video?

You are reporting the video ALWAYS returns after a 25-35 second blackout OR does it remain black? And this only occurs on entry into OR resume from hibernation?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Do you install the Intel RST driver as part of your clean Windows 7 installation?

If you open the CD/DVD tray, does it prevent loss of video?

You are reporting the video ALWAYS returns after a 25-35 second blackout OR does it remain black? And this only occurs on entry into OR resume from hibernation?

it always returns but sometimes i have to press fn+f7 opennign the tray does nothing. i dont thing i installed rst driver

HavokD
Level 9
What nvidia drivers are you using?

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
This may be irrelevant but about half way through deleting the bloatware I experienced this too. Once it was all removed it went back to being 1-4 seconds max.
ASUS g74SX-XT1

i got nvidia 296.10

it happens sometimes around 50 50 chance. when turning on from a shut down, and when resuming from a sleep.
I need help please.
when opening the cd tray it does nothing to the screen. it takes 30-40 seconds and then it makes the windows noise and then after like 2 seconds the screen to type in the password appears.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy wrote:
This may be irrelevant but about half way through deleting the bloatware I experienced this too. Once it was all removed it went back to being 1-4 seconds max.

what is Bloatware?
I might try to delete it

I forgot to mention that in order to get to the logon screen after the 40 seconds of waiting for the windows sound I need to sometimes press Fn+f7
I thing maybe my screen driver is messed up and windows turns on with the screen turned off by default? please help.

Hey,

I have issues with this same blackout on boot. I tried all the drivers and i came to thinking that his is actually not a driver problem as much as a power management problem. My theory is not tested as i have to get home to test it on my 53sw, but the black screen might appear due to the asus power management utility that sets the GTX video adapter as default after booting. This blackout might not appear when the power options in the asus ROG utility or windows power management tool is set to a profile that doesnt use the GTX as default, something as Office or Media. If anybody has time, please try some restarts and let me know if i am right.

Another ideea might be that the bios sets the dedicated GTX gpu as default, then on boot, the windows tries to enable the built-in-CPU video adapter (the intel HD 3000 or whatever ppl got). This might cause w7 to get a little confused. Or it might be the exact opposite, the bios is setting the built-in GPU as default, and the Windows tries to set the GTX as default, after loading.
Again, if anybody has time, test the Bios settings for video adapters.