cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair V Raid "0" HowTo

n0tiert
Level 9
Since a couple of People here having issues of chaining SSDs/HDDs to a Raid "0" and install Windows 7
i´ve thought i make a little HowTo for you:

Get Prepared:

• Download latest Raid Driver pkg from AMD
  • USB Media or ISO Tool like "UltraIso" to Add Raid Drivers to ISO
  • Min 2 Identical SSDs/HDDs
  • Time

Download Drivers:

Extracted AMD 12.4 Raid Drivers:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/50a2n5
(open in new tab)
MD5: 71a1e219c36ec5311dbdd2b70dc44da1

Official:

AMD Raid Drivers
latest download -> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-4_vis...32-64_raid.exe
run exe (extract to given dir), do not go through install process......
now check install dir for

"C:\AMD\SUPPORT\12-4_vista_win7_32-64_raid\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\xxxxx\RAID"

where "xxxxx"* is the subdir of your need
("xxxxx" represents chipset type, crosshair V uses a pimped rebranded SB8xx so either chose sbSB8xx or hseries )

if using Windows7 64bit use subdir of

"sbSB8xx\Raid\W764A\......."

copy folder on USB device or any other media.....
you can also use "UltraIso" and integrate Folder into your Windows Install DVD (backup)

eg:
dvd:\AMD\sbSB8xx\Raid\W764A\.......
or
USB:\AMD\sbSB8xx\Raid\W764A\.......

1.) Start with Crosshair V Bios:

Goto Advanced Tab set SATA 1-4 to Raid, connect your DVD/CD SATA Drive to 5/6 and leave that on IDE.

Save & Exit .......

2.) Raid Bios
After Reboot and Raid ROM starts to post hit Ctrl F to enter Raid setup

Now let´s chain the Drives:

Now select option 2, to Define LD (Logical Disk)

Assign Drives to LD Array

now we need to Erase MBR / Set Size for Disk Array

After that check Array Health (view Drive Assignments) and finally exit Raid Rom Utility

3.) Now we are Ready to Install Windows on our Raid "0"

Boot from Windows DVD and if no target Device listed:

choose "Load Driver" and point to media where the Raid Drivers are stored (USB/Windows media) .....

proceed with windows install process.................
your Raid Array should be listed as available target Device now

cheers 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice one and thank you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Great work!

Little adding note.
There is no need to get newes drivers before installing your Windows. You can allways use oldones from MB CD/DVD when you install your OS and update them after to new when you actually have your machine up.

This may help setting up system, if you dont have usb stick or web to download it in starting point.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

and what do you do when all of your instructions are followed and the installation process is almost complete...except during the last couple of reboots files start being corrupted and CHKDSK begins to delete corrupted files and after more reboots there are no real windows files left b/c they've all been deleted/corrupted. what then? b/c that's whats happening to me.
Case: Corsair 800D
PSU: Corsair 750W
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V
CPU: AMD FX 6100
Memory: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Graphics Card: nVidia eVGA GTX 680 HC
HDD1: RAID 0 (2 x WD 500GB SATA 6G)
HDD2: RAID 0 (2 x WD 250GB SATA 3G)
Cooling: Custom - Water (CPU+GPU-1loop 480rad)
Monitor: ASUS 24" Widescreen
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6
Mouse: Logitech G5

Im not seeing any option for the Ctrl f raid setup.

Bios 1402 - When mine boots i see page
Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Ver 0.93 AHCI mode
Copyright (C) Asmedia Technologies, Inc. All rights
S.M.A.R.T Supported
Using PCIE Gen 2
Cant find any device.
_

then it boots to the BIOS splash screen were prompted to press DEL to enter BIOS. i have set ports 1-4 to RAID and left 5-6 IDE.

im stuck on getting into the RAID setup any help?

managed to setup RAID0 but at the installation im getting an error.

Dankbro wrote:
Im not seeing any option for the Ctrl f raid setup.

Bios 1402 - When mine boots i see page
Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Ver 0.93 AHCI mode
Copyright (C) Asmedia Technologies, Inc. All rights
S.M.A.R.T Supported
Using PCIE Gen 2
Cant find any device.
_

then it boots to the BIOS splash screen were prompted to press DEL to enter BIOS. i have set ports 1-4 to RAID and left 5-6 IDE.

im stuck on getting into the RAID setup any help?

You mean "full screen logo" ? disbla it on BOOT menu and you should see AMD RAID option ROM screen very close to boot start.

managed to setup RAID0 but at the installation im getting an error.
I installed w7 4 times yesterday to get some test result on RAID0.

I used the one on ASUS site version: 1.2.1.292&3.3.1540.1 (edit: 1. unpacked it from zip. 2. Copy passte the folder to USB and manuly find drive x64 folder on installing it in w7)

I have allso used the one on CD before so you might try it and update it afer instaling w7.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

you never said for the raid to use either legacy ROM or UEFI option?

Chris_Manico
Level 10
Set it to Legacy

for anyone running a RAID on the CHV, make sure to use one of the modded BIOS that p4spooky has linked, they contain the newer AMD RAID ROM, that allow you to change the read cache settings in RAIDEXPERT, kif not its disabled and you take a serious performance hit, prior to using modded bios i was getting at best 750 MB/s read speeds, using the modded bios i get 1.1 GB/s
Corsair Carbide 540 Air ~ AMD FX 8350 ~ Asus Crosshair V Formula Z ~ 1901 BIOS ~ Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz 2x8 Gb CMD16X3M2A2400C10 ~ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti ~ Corsair AX860i PSU ~ Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SATA 3 SSD ~ WD 4 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB ( RMA'd ) ~ Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speakers ~ 27 Samsung SA550 HD LED Monitor ~

I get no array defined, I hit ctrl f get to the menu and no matter what I hit 1 2 3 4 the screen just flashes and I'm back at the menu.

Fixed the issues..... but i get bsod on first windows boot and it wont boot into windows.... i had to use the 32bit raid drivers....... is there a fix im missing for this been searching all night and day lol

they both work fine not in raid.....