cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure how to descibe this..

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
Just curious if any of you have come across this.. Sorry for the topic name but I didn't know how to accurately describe it..

So there I was playing bf3 for a few hours.. no problems.

I took a break, started browsing youtube for an hour or so.

Go to play battlefield 3 and all of a sudden I can't even surface 20fps on the lowest settings imaginable, where as before I was playing 60fps on high settings no problem.

I tried restarting bf3, look at the graphics chart.. checked temps.. check power profile..everything indicated the GPU was working and with good temperatures.

All to no avail.

A simple restart seems to have resolved the issue

I'm just curious if any of you have encountered anything like this? I've had my computer for two months now. I have never had any issue similar to this one until now.

Any takes?
ASUS g74SX-XT1
6 REPLIES 6

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hmm.... when you did take a brake, did you go out of the game or did you use alt + tab and left the game running in the background?

I'm not sure what have caused that you got low FPS when you went back to the game, perhaps you had turned on antivirus program or something like that?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
I completely exited. I didn't turn anything on/off or install anything. I just browsed youtube/facebook for awhile :/.
ASUS g74SX-XT1

chrsplmr
Level 18
The poor thing is choked ... Nothing like a fresh boot to clear the 'head'.c.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Chrsplmr is quite right, your system was "choked up". Basically the problem was, your browser while being closed was still running in the background. If you notice this happen again, close the game then perform a quick 3 finger-of-yore(ctrl+alt+del) click on "Task Manager" then click on the "Processes" tab, scroll down the list and you *should* see the process still running i.e explore.exe, firefox.exe or whichever browser you use. Click on the offender and then click on "End Process" and that should return your system back to fully idle and you should be able to enjoy BF3 at peak settings again. It happens from time to time and is nothing major to worry about 🙂

Xtreme-Performa
Level 7
Cool I may try this as well thanks for the tip/heads up... So basically your saying just check any program that's also using the internet... and close those programs to help increase on packet mainly to BF3? Make sense... it's like too much lights on consumes too much electricity?

I noticed if thunderbolt for example uses sound/ethernet combo to reduce the lag or latency would disabling sound cards, would it help speed things since sound cards also lags the internet? The thunderbolt card enlightened me that I could use that knowledge to speed up other factors if I want to increase speed or have less fps... on the screen...!?

Would this also apply to his situation to speed up fps? I'm sure it would sucked if you can't here much other than built-in sound from MOBO... lol cos that would disable you to hear your opponent firing at yeah... LOL...
ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000

Xtreme-Performance wrote:
Cool I may try this as well thanks for the tip/heads up... So basically your saying just check any program that's also using the internet... and close those programs to help increase on packet mainly to BF3? Make sense... it's like too much lights on consumes too much electricity?

I noticed if thunderbolt for example uses sound/ethernet combo to reduce the lag or latency would disabling sound cards, would it help speed things since sound cards also lags the internet? The thunderbolt card enlightened me that I could use that knowledge to speed up other factors if I want to increase speed or have less fps... on the screen...!?

Would this also apply to his situation to speed up fps? I'm sure it would sucked if you can't here much other than built-in sound from MOBO... lol cos that would disable you to hear your opponent firing at yeah... LOL...

Actually what it is, is Windows not removing the program from the RAM properly. It isn't necessarily just something that uses your net connection....unfortunately from time to time, Windows doesn't properly clear the RAM when a program is closed.

Sound cards don't lag the net out at all, I don't know why they would when they have nothing to do with Net use...unless you are streaming music, but that is the software you use and not the card its self. As for the Thunderbolt, I do not know much about it, other than it supposedly lowers ping times via ethernet connections and offers sound as well. Some members on here don't like it, I don't have the card so I cannot give a valid opinion on it myself....though, it has nothing to do with decreasing fps