cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Temperature ... Which one is true ?

tadhp
Level 10
System running normal, No OC at the moment, no issues ....

I'm looking at 4 different programs: RC TweakIt, CPUID Hardware Monitor, AI Suite II and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Currently using Corsair H100 and set at max. . The Temp. reading of all programs at the same time all different.

Which one of these programs tell me the true and close enough reading on the CPU temperature ??

TIA :confused:
CPU : Intel i7-3960X MB : Rampage IV Extreme 3101 Mem : G.SKILL F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH
GPU : MSI R7970 Lightning PSU : Corsair 1000W OS : W 7 Ultimate Corsair H100 Water cool
SSD : 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD : 512GB Samsung 480 Pro HDD : 2X 1T WD Speaker : Bose companion 5
Cooler Master
HAF-X Monitor : ASUS PB278Q
30 REPLIES 30

Retired
Not applicable
I use 2 progs..

I use probe II as reference, and adjust the offset in core-temp (tray)..

The little function in core temp, that shows the acceleration of the temp, is that one i use the most..

wht care's, a couple of centigrades up or down, the core temps shift so fast anyway..

Only so i can see a rough estimation of the temp, i am happy

But i know, different readings from different progs..

depending on the update freq..

Keep it simple?

Zka17
Level 16
I've had similar quarion about two months ago (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11649-R3E-temperature-questions)... What I learned from that thread and subsequent readings is that you should run only one temp assessment software at a time! Somehow the sensors/infos are messed up between different softwares...

I guess, the best way would be if we could double check the temps given by software with a good non-contact thermometer...

If all four softwares (running only one at a time) telling you that temps are OK - then temps should be OK, no? 😄

Zka17 wrote:
I've had similar quarion about two months ago (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11649-R3E-temperature-questions)... What I learned from that thread and subsequent readings is that you should run only one temp assessment software at a time! Somehow the sensors/infos are messed up between different softwares...

I guess, the best way would be if we could double check the temps given by software with a good non-contact thermometer...

If all four softwares (running only one at a time) telling you that temps are OK - then temps should be OK, no? 😄

Thanks Zka17, I'll do some reading L8R and post back.
CPU : Intel i7-3960X MB : Rampage IV Extreme 3101 Mem : G.SKILL F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH
GPU : MSI R7970 Lightning PSU : Corsair 1000W OS : W 7 Ultimate Corsair H100 Water cool
SSD : 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD : 512GB Samsung 480 Pro HDD : 2X 1T WD Speaker : Bose companion 5
Cooler Master

Double post, my bad
Cooler Master

tadhp
Level 10
Thanks grottslampan, that explained some to me about 4 progs ..
However, between the AI Suite II and RC TweakIt, thought its should use the same ways to measure, refresh and display the temp.
Knowing that under the H100, OC the CPU to 4.250 before and this system running with no issues. I'm not worry at all, just my curious.
Cooler Master

Retired
Not applicable
Mm, i know..

If the truth is out there, you want it.....

The only issue that i think can struck, is if the pump go broke..

But then the pc will shut down, due to heat..

so there is not to worry....

ganji
Level 13
i had the same issue but on the Crosshair v and found that the programs that give the true/ nearest to true temp are. asus ai suite 2 is pretty much on the mark but i didnt want to keep all the asus stuff installed.
aida x64,
cpuid hardware monitor(not open hw monitor)
amd overdrive
and as grottslampan says u can use coretemp if u work out the offset and adjust accordingly 😄
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12951-anyone-else-get-false-alerts-from-ai-suite

also if running ai suite with another program,say hw monitor then ai suite can start to give some false alerts.

HiVizMan
Level 40
One of the most accurate and comprehensive applications I have used is HWMonitor. It is remarkably accurate and has the smallest overhead of them all.

The thing to remember is this, if you have more than one application installed they will both be polling the sensors, this is where the problems can occur. You might end up with no correct readings at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
One of the most accurate and comprehensive applications I have used is HWMonitor. It is remarkably accurate and has the smallest overhead of them all.

The thing to remember is this, if you have more than one application installed they will both be polling the sensors, this is where the problems can occur. You might end up with no correct readings at all.

Thanks HiVizMan,

After uninstall Intel Extreme Tunning and HWMonitor, Tempereture display from AI Suite II and ROG tweakIt are the same as before, no change. I'm not worry, just wonder why the 2 progs reading different.
Cooler Master