ROG Enthusiast Array

Touchpad randomly dies

Sup everyone!

So, I use my laptop quite often (G74SX-KBB8 to be exact) - woke up this morning and my touchpad was working fine. Came home to see my touchpad isn't working (tried a restart, tried driver installation, tried to enable/disable via hotkeys - nothing works)

Any tips or suggestions?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

1) Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before this issue occurred.

2) If that fails, try uninstalling your current touchpad driver from Control Panel, REBOOT to let Windows install its Plug N Play touchpad driver. Does this restore touchpad functionality? If so, you can reinstall the latest Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad driver, depending on which is installed on your system.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 05-01-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

To be specific, I always used the plug-n-play driver Windows supplied, only after it stopped working I tried the driver... No dice so far

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Try this - unplug the laptop, remove the battery and any connected peripheral devices (including any memory cards in the card reader), hold down the Power On Button for 30 seconds, then plug in the power adapter and start the system.

The touchpad uses a piece of foil tape for grounding. This is not a good design, and may be failing on your laptop. The above procedure will remove built up electrical charge from your laptop. It is typically used when the system boots to a black screen. I'd like to see if it helps in this case. If not, you may need to fix the grounding on your touchpad, or contact Best Buy for repair. It's also possible the touchpad itself is defective, and may need to be replaced.

I would certainly at least try Windows System Restore as the last attempt at a software fix.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 05-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT