cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD: RAMPAGE-IV-GENE + GSKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

vantheshark
Level 7
Hi

I have several BSOD while running Windows 7 Ultimate. I managed to reinstall Win7 from scratch with 1 stick of RAM (4G) and that seemed to work. However, when I install all 16GB Ram, the system seems not stable and several BSODs happened randomly.

Here is my new machine, I used default BIOS settings.

MOBO: Asus Rampage IV Gene-X7 (BIOS Version 1305 2012.04.18 update)
CPU : Hex Core i7-382
GPU : 1G GTX550Ti ASUS (Latest driver)
RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-12800cl9d-8GBXL (16G total)
PSU : CoolerMaster RS-650
WIFI CARD: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800

I tried to run Memtest86+ v4.2 and amazingly, here is the result:

I ran the test with only 2 sticks and it produced so many errors, but it seemed to be fine when I ran separately. I also ran memory test using Window Memory Diagnostic but it said no errors at all for 16GB.

Beside that, I had run the GPU stress test using FurMark, there was not any BSOD so I reckon GPU is unlikely the culprit.

Please help, is it the RAM or MOBO problem? :mad:.
7 REPLIES 7

Eustia
Level 7
G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-12800cl9d-8GBXL is a dual channel kit

Your platform is x79 which support quad channel. You'd better switch to a quad channel ddr3, for example, G.Skill Ripjaws-Z series

8_Pack
Level 12
Yes that is a Dual channel kit and this platform is quad channel so the XMP profile is not valid for this format. To save headaches a X79 tuned quad channel kit would work better but I am sure with abit of tuning though you can probably get it to work fine. Clear the CMOS and try the following, Voltage to the RAM 1.6v, VCCSA 1.15, VTT 1.15. Manually enter the timings in Bios 9-9-9-28 2T with Rampage tweak mode 1 and memtest again with all other memory settings on AUTO. Post back your results.

Shamino
you may also wanna try this bios , maybe more suitable for your rams

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-1872e9f8.html

Thanks guys,

The store I bought those KITs will not let me return them for incompatibility so If it's because of the dual channel KIT, I'll try to follow @8 Pack's instruction. If it's not help I'll try the BIOS @Shamino suggested.

I'll try them tonight.

Cheers,

This was 1 of the KIT. I had to return 1 of the KIT, sell the other one and go for GSKILL RipjawsZ 😄

My machine is stable at 4.75Ghz (Temp 71C full load) 😄

Thanks all.
Cheers

8_Pack
Level 12
Good to hear you got this sorted out mate

HiVizMan
Level 40
I love a happy ending. Cheers for the update mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.