Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Maximus V supported mPCIe WiFi + Bluetooth cards

I attempted to get a new Intel 6230 wifi-bluetooth module installed in my Maximus V with no success. I could get the bluetooth to work but not the wifi. Obviously I could have gotten a bad module, but during my troubleshooting I ran across this link from Intel (http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../CS-031167.htm); to sum the link up it says the voltage for the mPCIe requirements were changed and your device may not work because of this. I can not find information pertaining to what voltage the Maximus V uses for it's mPCIe slot; therefore I do not know if this is the issue or not.

I guess my real question is; has anyone gotten a WiFi + Bluetooth module to work in their Maximus V and if so which one did you get so I can go buy that one instead.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

ROG Enthusiast Array

The Intel Advanced-N 6235 works, both Bluetooth and Wifi. The only apparent difference between that and the 6230 seems to be updated Bluetooth 4.0. Don't take my word for it, however. Asus' lineup of Z77 boards with Wifi seem to all be using Broadcom adapters. Almost any adapter should work provided you have the drivers, you may want to check out this thread on the subject as well.

Cheers

ROG Member Array

Thanks, went and ordered the Broadcom module after reading the thread you linked. Since your 6235 worked I am going to assume I got a bad module. Thanks again for the fast reply! I am looking forward to seeing the Broadcom bluetooth stack, I was not impressed with the Intel version.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Good stuff I should add that the 6230/6235 are also dual-band 2.4/5.0 Ghz, whereas the BCM43142 is single band. 300 Mbps @ 2.4 Ghz will have better range than 5Ghz, but if you live in an apartment there is of course some potential crowding in 2.4. Broadcom just announced the BCM43241 (dual-band + Bt 4.0), however I don't think it's available yet.

ROG Member Array

Hey Optimist I wanted to thank you again for the suggestion of the Broadcom module and give an update. I just got the module today and it installed so easily it wasn't even funny. Everything seems to be working perfectly. Literally within in 5 minutes of opening the package I had the wifi/bluetooth module installed and working; now that is what I call plug and play. Again thanks for your great posts; the other thread you have going on this issue I am sure is going to help a lot of people.

Thanks,
    Matt

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I couldnt get an intell 6300 to work and I cant get this broadcrap to work either:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/260812130066...84.m1497.l2649

I have followed all of everyones instructions but I get nothing....I wish I could say the issue is PEBKAC but this is not my first rodeo with WIFI...Im assuming there is something wrong with my mobo as I also have the dreaded "55" memory error.
    Last edited by ahobanger; 05-16-2012 at 10:23 PM.

New ROGer Array

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235

install this module in to my system, wifi work, bluetooth partially work. I think is the driver problem, but can't find any driver that would suit this module.

Try Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology 1.1 (64bit) didn't work
    http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../CS-032541.htm

Try Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7 didn't work
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...dvanced-N+6230

under windows device management the bluetooth display using windows generic driver. I was able to make connection to my xbox bluetooth headset but the device can't be more than 20 cm away. Once i move away from that approximate distance the bluetooth disconnect. I also try connecting with my samsung i9100 and ipone 4 none of these device work unless you next to the device.

any solution

thanks

ROG Enthusiast Array

6235 WiFI and Bluetooth worked fine for me but the phone had to be close for a consistent connection. I was using internal antennae and chalked it up to that. It could also be possible the range just sucks If you're gonna stick with that adapter I would suggest using external antennas. With Intel drivers installed Windows also reported generic drivers.

New ROGer Array

*****Update:added the antenna and it fix the bluetooth range problem.

Now it makes me wonder if that was the case for my Intel advance 6235 mpcie card. Hate replacing the mpcie card again just for testing. To replace the mpcie I have to disassemble the entire computer and remove the motherboard, it’s such as pain. Ahhhh… I guess I will stick with the slower wifi for now.

Even with successful setup of the Broadcom wifi+bluetooh 4.0, other problem emerges. Trying to use my xbox Bluetooth headset to play music but with no success. System show software is installed and all drivers running. Check my device playback under windows, and Bluetooth playback is gray out.

I believe the problem is cause by Intel PROSet/Wireless Software. (can’t remove it for some reason)

Under device playback Bluetooth playback property is showing as Intel device, not Broadcom.

Again hoping to get this fix…. Its been two weeks trying to get this fix on my new system…. Still can’t enjoy the freedom of cordless…..

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    6235 WiFI and Bluetooth worked fine for me but the phone had to be close for a consistent connection. I was using internal antennae and chalked it up to that. It could also be possible the range just sucks If you're gonna stick with that adapter I would suggest using external antennas. With Intel drivers installed Windows also reported generic drivers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U.FLMHF.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	8836
    I have attach both U.FL/MHF cable from intel 6235 mpcie module but didn't attach the wifi antenna.
    without attaching the antenna i was getting strong signal for the wifi.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	8837
    Just wondering does bluetooth also require attaching the antenna to make it to work?
    But I will try tonight attaching the antenna to see if bluetooth signal will increase. Currently all bluetooth signal only cover no more than 20 cm form my computer.

Because of the problem and forum I been reading, I purchase a Broadcom BCM4313 657325-001 wifi + bluetooth 4.0 and tested again. With all driver install and still encounter the bluetooth range problem.

hope the antenna will slove my problem!!!
    Last edited by GoneFishing; 05-25-2012 at 03:37 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishing View Post
    Just wondering does bluetooth also require attaching the antenna to make it to work?!
    Yes. All wireless devices require antennas of some sort to send/receive signals. Your bluetooth range should improve a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast