cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene "iRog is updating" boot loop

unkn0wn
Level 7
I just installed a Maximus V Gene mobo with a 3770K processor and a NVidia GTX680 video card. It seems to take a very long time (around 2 minutes) for my monitor to display the BIOS splash screen. After the BIOS splash screen appears it immediately goes to a screen which says "irog is updating" and takes around 4 hours to complete. After completing, it starts the process all over again. Any ideas how to get past this?

I initially flashed new BIOS (version 701) via Flashback because I could not get video output, could that have screwed things up?

I'm at a loss for things to try at this point, any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

8_Pack
Level 12
I would try taking out the 680 and using the CPU's onboard graphics until Irog has finished. If this does not work reset the bios and flash again using flashback as it may be a corrupt flash and try again with onboard graphics first. Then once flashed and up and running try the 680.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would redo the BIOS flash.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm still having the issue.

I can't seem to get video out of the onboard HDMI port. This may be because the only display I have with HDMI is my TV and I don't know if it supports the resolution the mobo is outputting.

I've reflashed with flashback several times with the same results.

The other odd thing is my Q-Code display always reads "00" and never changes.

HDMI and a TV is not ideal, unless the TV is at the default HDMI res.

The OO is not too good. Are you able to borrow a VGA card to test please. Or take your system round to someone with a PC screen?

At the moment you are running blind and that is not helping.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Praz
Level 13
I would disconnect everything from the board also removing the CPU and memory and try USB BIOS Flashback

kittendoggie
Level 9
If nothing else works for you and you think that a clean BIOS flash would perhaps be the solution, you could send me your BIOS chip and I can program it with the latest BIOS or the BIOS you want.

I have unplugged everything from the motherboard except for the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors. I've removed the RAM and CPU so there is literally nothing connected to the motherboard (except power). When I turn on the board the Q-Code display only reads "00" and does not change. Is this normal behavior?

With everything disconnected I tried flashing the two available BIOSes (version 0701 and 0602) and have gotten the same result.

With the CPU installed I occasionally see the following sequence of codes 00-04-00-04-CC. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it displays this sequence and when it does not.

I'm starting to think that the board is bad.

HiVizMan
Level 40
RMA the board.