cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the G55VW

Zerflex
Level 7
Thank you MarshallR for the excellent quick-quide to upgrading the G75VW with a second HDD/SSD and RAM (http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/).

Now, I have a G55VW, and I am thinking about buying a SSD and using as my primary device, with the 750GB HDD that was fitted in the computer when I bought it as a secondary disc, mostly for storage.

Now, to my question; is it as simple to install a second drive in the G55VW as in the G75VW? One or two screws at the bottom of the computer, pop the hatch and then you are in?

Thanks,

Martin
72 REPLIES 72

Blodvite
Level 7
HI,

First of all the HDD places are one Msata and one HDD, i've replaced the HDD and RAM on my G55 and it's just as you desribed under the little hatch in the bottom.
this rules out the use of two 2,5 disks however so you'll either have to go for Msata as primary SSD or just use one SSD.
i went for the option with one SSD using Intel 520 240 Gb series will last long enough!

however i've yet still not found the Msata Location but i bet it isnt hard to get at once you remove some more of the cover.

Blodvite wrote:
HI,

First of all the HDD places are one Msata and one HDD, i've replaced the HDD and RAM on my G55 and it's just as you desribed under the little hatch in the bottom.
this rules out the use of two 2,5 disks however so you'll either have to go for Msata as primary SSD or just use one SSD.
i went for the option with one SSD using Intel 520 240 Gb series will last long enough!

however i've yet still not found the Msata Location but i bet it isnt hard to get at once you remove some more of the cover.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Are there anyone else that can confirm where the mSATA location is? I.e, enabling two harddrives, with the SSD as primary (boot) disk? Is the location hard to get to?

Thanks.

Msata location will show up after take out motherboard...
G55VW
Intel Core i7-3610, 2.3GHz
Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 8GB 1600MHz (Replace Original Ram)
GEFORCE GTX 660 2GB GDDR5

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

Perhaps this site http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/ can answer your questions 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi

Perhaps this site http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/ can answer your questions 🙂

That was the article that I referred to in the opening post... 🙂

Since the G55VW is smaller, I am uncertain if both HDD-slots are in the "easy" hatch, or if you have to remove the whole back cover.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Oh... haha

EDIT:
If you post some pictures then we can help you out 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Oh... haha

EDIT:
If you post some pictures then we can help you out 🙂

Hi again,

So, I opened the hatch, and could only see the primary HDD and what I believe are the RAM. As you can se on the attached picture, the hatch is smaller than on the G75. Any ideas where I could fit the SSD? Do I have to open the whole cover?

Thanks!

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hmm, it looks like you have to open up the whole cover, but you are sure that there is a second bay in this machine?

If you are curious about how the notebook looks inside then there is no problem to open it up. As long as you don't remove any labels says warranty voided then you're in the clear ^^

EDIT: Also since these new beasts are made to access the fans easily then it should be easy to open it up 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hmm, it looks like you have to open up the whole cover, but you are sure that there is a second bay in this machine?

If you are curious about how the notebook looks inside then there is no problem to open it up. As long as you don't remove any labels says warranty voided then you're in the clear ^^

There should be a second bay, have read it on a couple of places (forums, where people from Asus have written), and also from the guy in the store that I bought it. (Some delivers it with one SSD and one HDD).

I tried to unscrew the cover, but couldn't get it off. (I wasn't using that much force, it is after all a brand new computer :D).

Is there anything else I need to know when removing the cover? I guess I have to try again, perhaps I missed one screw.

Thanks for your help.