Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Upgrading the G55VW

    Thank you MarshallR for the excellent quick-quide to upgrading the G75VW with a second HDD/SSD and RAM (http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-serie...ing-the-g75vw/).

    Now, I have a G55VW, and I am thinking about buying a SSD and using as my primary device, with the 750GB HDD that was fitted in the computer when I bought it as a secondary disc, mostly for storage.

    Now, to my question; is it as simple to install a second drive in the G55VW as in the G75VW? One or two screws at the bottom of the computer, pop the hatch and then you are in?

    Thanks,

    Martin
    Last edited by Zerflex; 05-04-2012 at 10:51 AM.

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    HI,

    First of all the HDD places are one Msata and one HDD, i've replaced the HDD and RAM on my G55 and it's just as you desribed under the little hatch in the bottom.
    this rules out the use of two 2,5 disks however so you'll either have to go for Msata as primary SSD or just use one SSD.
    i went for the option with one SSD using Intel 520 240 Gb series will last long enough!


    however i've yet still not found the Msata Location but i bet it isnt hard to get at once you remove some more of the cover.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Blodvite View Post
    HI,

    First of all the HDD places are one Msata and one HDD, i've replaced the HDD and RAM on my G55 and it's just as you desribed under the little hatch in the bottom.
    this rules out the use of two 2,5 disks however so you'll either have to go for Msata as primary SSD or just use one SSD.
    i went for the option with one SSD using Intel 520 240 Gb series will last long enough!


    however i've yet still not found the Msata Location but i bet it isnt hard to get at once you remove some more of the cover.
    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Are there anyone else that can confirm where the mSATA location is? I.e, enabling two harddrives, with the SSD as primary (boot) disk? Is the location hard to get to?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    876

    Hi

    Perhaps this site http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-serie...ing-the-g75vw/ can answer your questions
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    Hi

    Perhaps this site http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-serie...ing-the-g75vw/ can answer your questions
    That was the article that I referred to in the opening post... :-)

    Since the G55VW is smaller, I am uncertain if both HDD-slots are in the "easy" hatch, or if you have to remove the whole back cover.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    876

    Oh... haha

    EDIT:
    If you post some pictures then we can help you out
    Last edited by fuzon1337; 05-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    Oh... haha

    EDIT:
    If you post some pictures then we can help you out
    Hi again,

    So, I opened the hatch, and could only see the primary HDD and what I believe are the RAM. As you can se on the attached picture, the hatch is smaller than on the G75. Any ideas where I could fit the SSD? Do I have to open the whole cover?

    Thanks!
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos bild.JPG  


  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    876

    Hmm, it looks like you have to open up the whole cover, but you are sure that there is a second bay in this machine?

    If you are curious about how the notebook looks inside then there is no problem to open it up. As long as you don't remove any labels says warranty voided then you're in the clear ^^

    EDIT: Also since these new beasts are made to access the fans easily then it should be easy to open it up
    Last edited by fuzon1337; 05-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    Hmm, it looks like you have to open up the whole cover, but you are sure that there is a second bay in this machine?

    If you are curious about how the notebook looks inside then there is no problem to open it up. As long as you don't remove any labels says warranty voided then you're in the clear ^^
    There should be a second bay, have read it on a couple of places (forums, where people from Asus have written), and also from the guy in the store that I bought it. (Some delivers it with one SSD and one HDD).

    I tried to unscrew the cover, but couldn't get it off. (I wasn't using that much force, it is after all a brand new computer ).

    Is there anything else I need to know when removing the cover? I guess I have to try again, perhaps I missed one screw.

    Thanks for your help.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    876

    Okey so I'll say the second SSD/HDD bay in that notebook is confirmed.

    It could be some screws under the keyboard that is holding the cover back, but that I don't want to say for sure.

    Since you are one of the first to get the hands on the G55vw, what do you think about it? Post some pics on benchmark the GPU/CPU and simular ?
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •