Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    yes, i have a g55, but sorry i think it's better not to tell people if it fits based on plain measurements only.
    Thanks for your reply.

I understand your concern.

So I ask you MarshallR@ASUS, since you have the connetion to find out!

Is enough space inside the HDD bay of the G55vw for a 15mm 2,5" HDD?

Best wishes

New ROGer Array

So no SSD + larger HDD upgrade for the G55 then?

I'm a rather recent fan of ASUS (spilled water on my G53, not covered by warranty + 800 dollar repair bill, so just bought the new G55 since I might as well get a new computer), and I was dearly hoping to upgrade my G55's hard drive speed and give it more storage space at the same time.

From this thread it turns out having an SSD for booting up and a normal internal 2.5" HDD is impossible, huh? I have like 3 different external hard drives (and the G55 only has 4 USB ports...), and I don't want to have the hassle of bringing an external hard disk everywhere I go (lose even more portability?). So the only option left is the mSATA option, then?

Any chance the ASUS support/repair centers will be able to help attach an OEM mSATA hard disk to serve as a slower SSD boot drive without voiding the warranty? I mean, that would be unbeatable customer service right there. Would make me an ASUS customer for life, too =/

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

i have 2 ssds running, and many are using ssd+hdd combo in a g55. you need to replace the dvd drive with a hdd caddy, and put your hdd there (running at sata II, 3Gbps).

i asked for help in a local service center about this (what i asked was actually additional upgrades, like changing parts, which includes putting in a new mSATA). i was told that they only cover service and RMA of the original unit. they are not supposed to do the additional upgrades for us; but that was my case. the service guys in your country might be able to offer you that.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1

Quote Originally Posted by lightbringer88 View Post
    I'm a rather recent fan of ASUS (spilled water on my G53, not covered by warranty + 800 dollar repair bill, so just bought the new G55 since I might as well get a new computer), and I was dearly hoping to upgrade my G55's hard drive speed and give it more storage space at the same time.

From this thread it turns out having an SSD for booting up and a normal internal 2.5" HDD is impossible, huh? I have like 3 different external hard drives (and the G55 only has 4 USB ports...), and I don't want to have the hassle of bringing an external hard disk everywhere I go (lose even more portability?). So the only option left is the mSATA option, then?

Any chance the ASUS support/repair centers will be able to help attach an OEM mSATA hard disk to serve as a slower SSD boot drive without voiding the warranty? I mean, that would be unbeatable customer service right there. Would make me an ASUS customer for life, too =/
    Yes the only option is mSATA, although you can now buy 256GB mSATA drives from Crucial for example. There's no difference in performance of mSATA versus full SATA: they both use the same chipset, NAND and SATA 6Gbps interface.

Where did you buy from? I'm not sure if our US support can provide this service, it maybe easier for you to go back to the point of purchase.

ROG Member Array

Why don't just remove your odd and install an ssd there? I plan to remove my odd and fit in a hdd caddy with my new drive in it. The msata slot is too difficult to access, don't wish to risk taking out so many screws..

New ROGer Array

Sorry if I'll sound dumb right now but I'm having problem with my retailer. Got myself g55vw in USA and its comming to me in Croatia via friend in a few days. While i was calculating if i want to have msata or regular ssd added to it i called autorized service center in here to ask how much would msata ssd instalation cost so i retain my warranty.

They: Msata ssd instalation is around 140$. (more than ssd itself)
    My words then were: I'll just swap its current hdd into optical bay via caddy and use ssd in primary hdd spot.
    They: If you swap existing hdd and optical drive yourself you will loose ur warranty.

Is there any document that refers to what "user servicable area" is? Because they said: either 140$ for msata instalation or 50$ for us to swap in ur existing components. I'm not paying 50$ for 3 god damn screwes...
    Last edited by darkydark; 02-08-2013 at 10:20 PM.

ROG Junior Member Array SipTomi's Avatar

Question How to prepare drive letters before installing 2nd Hard Drive Caddy Bay Adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandur View Post
    The ODD bay supports SATA II, aka 3.0Gbps. Most software will only list the current speed of a port, and since many ODD's are still SATA I, that's all you'll see. But the HM77 chipset have no SATA I ports, "only" II and III. (4x SATA II and 2x SATA III in the chipset, but not all are available in this laptop.)

If you plan to replace the ODD with a HDD enclosure and install a new SATA III SSD, I recommend that you move the stock HDD there and put the new SSD in the original 2.5" bay.

Final option is to disassemble the laptop to install a msata SSD and keep the original HDD and ODD. But in many countries this will, as mentioned several times before, void your warranty!
    Hi fellow ROGers

@Pandur, thank you for your post.

I've ordered a "2nd Hard Drive Caddy Bay Adapter for Asus G55vw - Support 2.5" HDD/SSD" last week, it's due arrive to Hungary this weekend or latest next week. My one year warranty of the G55VW is just over last month, and I plan to move the original 750 GB HDD (now it is drive D: ) into the caddy and put a new Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB in the HDD bay to have 6.0Gbps speed as a benefit.
    I have a Windows 7 Ultimate running on the Sandisk 120GB system SSD (now it is Drive C: ), and I want to install Windows 8 on the new SSD.
    What preparations do you recommend in W7 (Computer management / Disk Management)?
    I mean there will be drive letter changes after moving HDD into the caddy and installing the new SSD, but I don't want to loose my installed programs on th HDD.
    Did anybody do such upgrade yet?

New ROGer Array

I have been looking at Samsung 840 EVO Basic 1TB as a soultion. But how is it to use it instead of a regular HDD? And do anyone know how i can get all my existing data onto the SSD? (I have not bought anything yet) And how is it to do the BioS part yourself?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

to answer your question, you can clone the stock hdd to ssd.

however, it's better to set a g55 up like this: 1 ssd for OS, games and apps (clean install or restore using recovery disks/usb). 1 hdd for data. (replace the ODD with a 12.7mm sata-to-sata hdd caddy and put the stock hdd into it).

New ROGer Array

Well, i have stored my data on a External drive 1TB. So dont really need to replace ODD.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast