Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project: "1949"

Cygnitr0n
Level 10
Hello ROG readers,

Introduction:
My name is Stef and my alias is Cygnitr0n. Cygnitr0n is a combination of Cygnus X, Nitro and Tron. And I'm from Holland. So already I will appologize in front if the Englisch is not correct.

Let me begin:
After a few moments of thoughts and seeing some of the builds here on Bit-Tech.net. I became inspirid and now I'm planning a new project. I don't want a normal case for my PC anymore. And after building the "Obsidian Carnage" , modding my HTPC and modding the Antec Darkfleet, I was getting more experienced with the modding. So, I wanted to leap forward and making myself a real case mod.

Inspiration:
I've been inspired by the old retro look and I want to make the old, new again and bring it back in the future. But afterall in a whole new inside and purpose. It's will be a shame to let this old thing go to waste. Afterall it is a sort of legacy. I was searching for something old, nice, good looking and it must be big enough for a small PC. And I found it, a Philips BX480A.

Because I really like a nostalgic look, I will preserve it in this build. Afterall it's a MOD so I will make a few changes along the way. If it's necessary.

The Project:
It will not be a project that I would build in a short timeframe. Because this build is delicate and needs time. I want it to be perfect and restore it for a whole new purpose.

So I will give you an idea how it looks and what I'm going to Mod. This project is called "1949" and has no real name yet. The "1949" stands for the builddate from this old Radio.

Hardware:
It's gonna be an mITX build with HTPC/Media PC potentials. And I'm going to work with a lot of copper. So that was the story for my idea. Hopefully I will bring this old Radio back to life with his new purpose in the 21st Century.

And here is a picture from the old Philips BX480A.

This project is sponsored by:
74 REPLIES 74

c0mrade
Level 7
interesting.. i take it you're going to be turning this into a gaming pc??? 😮
Sh*t just got real.

Cygnitr0n
Level 10
It depends on the hardware that I'm able to use. 🙂

maybe a micro atx board would fit? how big is this radio? turning an old radio into a pc seems like a hard task.
Sh*t just got real.

Here are the dimensions (WHD):

470 x 300 x 230 mm / 18.5 x 11.8 x 9.1 inch

And yes, it is a hard task. So I will take the time with this one.

tadhp
Level 10
It's all about funs, challenge, pride ...... good luck :cool:
CPU : Intel i7-3960X MB : Rampage IV Extreme 3101 Mem : G.SKILL F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH
GPU : MSI R7970 Lightning PSU : Corsair 1000W OS : W 7 Ultimate Corsair H100 Water cool
SSD : 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD : 512GB Samsung 480 Pro HDD : 2X 1T WD Speaker : Bose companion 5
Cooler Master
HAF-X Monitor : ASUS PB278Q

Cygnitr0n
Level 10
Thanks Tadhp! And Yes it is! 🙂

Cygnitr0n
Level 10
Update!

I have taken the time to make a few nice pictures in his original state. The photo's are shot with a Canon 1000D. check it out.

Hopefully you think it's nice. It's now 63 Years old!

This project is sponsored by:

kkn
Level 14
one thing is for shure, they dont make the radios like before.
quality from a to z
and made to last 🙂

Lilkka
Level 9
Don't destroy that! Keep it hidden somewhere, oh well if you want to use it then go ahead.. Please show some pictures of what your type of idea with it will be and do take big care with the task i cannot wait to see what you can create out of a 60 + year old machine.. make it red and black and go RoG style =P
PC Specs: Intel 2500k - 4.6GHZ (Overclocked) 7 Stepping CPU.
Corsair Vengance 16GB 4GB Kit @ 1600MHZ 9/9/9/24/2 - now overclocked: 1866 9/10/9/27/2- ATI 6850 GFX - (OC 855mhz/1165) -
Maximus Gene Z/Gen 3 3305 BIOS, Voltages: Ram 1.6 - CPU 1.360 / 75% Vdroop. VCCISO 1.1500.
Antec 300 Case - Sata II 5400 RPM 500GB Master HDD.

RoG Member! And Proud!

Lilkka