cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V gene overclock

bwana
Level 10
Here is my first try

This was he result of using the 'one-click' oc cpu level-up in turbo-evo of AI suite II
My question has to do with tweaking the turbos and any other variables so that i am not running 1.31 v all the time.

I am used to working in the bios doing FSB ocing but that was on P4 northwoods! From what I've read, this IVY beast is just a multiplier and voltage tweak. Still, I dont see how some people get 4.8 ghz at 1.175 v

I am using that noctua monster cooler (DH14) an it stays cool to the touch even though reported temps go high.
A little pop up even comes up to the desktop telling me
'warning your temp is 74 degrees!'
(Reminds me of robby the robot in 'lost in space' - Warning Will Robinson!)

So what should be my first (baby) steps in tuning the oc?
Intel 3770K 4.4ghz, 1.24v. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Intel 4930k 4.7ghz 1.37v........AMD 7800x3D async 104
32 gGSkill DR3Trident 2400mhz 1.65v. . . .32 g 1866 Vengeance Pro.......64 g Hynix 6200
ASUS M5G. Noctua D14. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H110. Noctua A14x4.............Arctic 420
prime95 stable 78degrees. . . . . . . . . . . . . IBT 75 degrees
OCZ V4 OS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EVO 1TB...............................WDSN850x 2TB
Seasonic 700w. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1200AX.................................HX1200i
All tucked into Lian Li A05. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Fractal Midiv2......................BeQuiet802
18 REPLIES 18

Retired
Not applicable
😄

1,175v > 4,8ghz.. I think you should not pay that voltage so much attention..

Dont sound like the vcore to me..

Hmm, i dont know my way around real temp..

did you go past 90c?

Lilkka
Level 9
Hi,

I'll share my little bit of information that i know on this - and it's a sandybridge but the same type of rule applys here anyhoo, I used:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2787-Maximus-IV-GENE-Z-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking

as my guide and on the VRM settings i was able to use the "VCore Load-Line Calibration: Sets a margin between idle and full processor load voltage to compensate for overshoot. To clarify; overshoot is a short duration (Intel specification stipulates less than 25 micro-seconds at stock voltages) voltage excursion beyond applied processor Vcore. We recommend a setting of High or Ultra-High for most overclocking"

I believe i read some where else in that post/or another RoG post that one of the BIOS options or this one here, If you set it right you are able to keep that active but also achieve a lower Vcore, Maybe this could apply to the Ivybridge too i run my 4.2 at 1.3 - Vdroop 75% (carn't push higher at the moment due to bad cooler but i was able to sustain 4.6-8 at 1.350 - system on auto wanted nearly 1.5V lol.)

Look into your BIOS options/read on google/forums here and there is some options to help you lower your Vcore but sustain the stability - Vdroop is properly the best one.

P.S -- Be careful since the I7 chips has Hyperthreading and i do believe i read somewhere that adds some 'C to your CPU too so you may not be able to as high as OC as you would of liked - rule of thumb: Think of some where you might like it to be but increase it slowly and watch your temps and try to keep the PC under 70'C at full load and i suggest you make sure you got a good aftermarket cooler to go above 4.2ghz as the CPU/Mobo really does need to get that VRM and CPU some juice and that produces a crud load of heat.
PC Specs: Intel 2500k - 4.6GHZ (Overclocked) 7 Stepping CPU.
Corsair Vengance 16GB 4GB Kit @ 1600MHZ 9/9/9/24/2 - now overclocked: 1866 9/10/9/27/2- ATI 6850 GFX - (OC 855mhz/1165) -
Maximus Gene Z/Gen 3 3305 BIOS, Voltages: Ram 1.6 - CPU 1.360 / 75% Vdroop. VCCISO 1.1500.
Antec 300 Case - Sata II 5400 RPM 500GB Master HDD.

RoG Member! And Proud!

Lilkka

Retired
Not applicable
i am going to zleep now, but if you want to be real sure about your voltage settings..

Make screen-cuts of tubro evo (the voltage settings), and i think the skilled people in here will help you, if something is very wrong (so u dont damage anything).. And real temp readings, incl. max load...

Lotta OC advise on the net, not all of them in good regards.........****

Good luck.......

ZZzzzz

The v does droop to 1.288 under load as seen in cpu-z. But it bounces around, going up and down. The temps hit highs early (80 egrees plus here an there but then settle out to just below 70.

That guide that raja wrote (tnx likka) is information dense an extremely comprehensive. I usually used to change just one thing at a time in the olden days. But that guide feels like a shotgun-I'd have to change dozens of settings in the bios. And then when I crash I wouldnt know what to back off first. I guess I should start by changing my voltage from manual to offset - that apparently allows the voltage to scale as I raise my clocks. The other thing I should look into is load-line calibration settings. In the old days, we just used to overvolt-and that was it. CPU death came from heat long before electrical breakdown. But in those days the circuits were bigger. Now we have 22 nm and 3d transistors. Leakage current is massive so maybe electrical breakdown at high volts should be a worry.
Intel 3770K 4.4ghz, 1.24v. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Intel 4930k 4.7ghz 1.37v........AMD 7800x3D async 104
32 gGSkill DR3Trident 2400mhz 1.65v. . . .32 g 1866 Vengeance Pro.......64 g Hynix 6200
ASUS M5G. Noctua D14. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H110. Noctua A14x4.............Arctic 420
OCZ V4 OS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EVO 1TB...............................WDSN850x 2TB
Seasonic 700w. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1200AX.................................HX1200i
All tucked into Lian Li A05. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Fractal Midiv2......................BeQuiet802

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please specify what areas your system needs fine tuning or attention to and we will try and assist you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Please specify what areas your system needs fine tuning or attention to and we will try and assist you.

Ok, after a night's sleep I an speak more clearly.

I overclocke with the one button level up in ai tuner and got a stable (using intel burn) 4.6 ghz oc. It set me at 1.33v and a 46 multi. Voltage is set to manual (not offset) It left the bclk alone. Temps get into the low 80s high 70s on intel burn. VDroop goes to 1.288

I woul like to figure out what step to take next to improve my temps a little. I am using a noctua dh14 and it stays cool even when stressing the cpu.

Lilkka
Level 9
Hi,

Do you happen to have a USB pen? there is a option where you can take screenshots of your BIOS, if you posted those here then i could be more clear on the settings you are currently using, are you also sure that you applied plently of decent branded thermal paste to your CPU?

Do you have enough fans inside of your case to move the air flow too? - start first by posting your BIOS settings here if you can please, When the AI Tuner program OC your PC it tend's to not do the full settings unless you use the Extreme option that is in the program but to get a solid OC your better off using the BIOS.

1) Post pictures

2) Ensure your coolers are cleaned up and you did apply good ammount of thermal to your CPU.

3) Vdroop option on your PC adds 'C to your PC, also remember that your ambient room temps come into thought here so you might need to lower your OC if you live in a hot country. I always found 4.4ghz + required too much pump into options that would just add heat.

P.S: On the topic of not knowing what to elimate i can help you there, Hivisman helped me with this and some basic thoughts if you keep updating us here then we can help you. But if you speak good english i would be happy to talk to you through Skype and see if that can be off help to you if you require quicker help. But first start with one setting aka: VDIMMS (ram) set the basic voltages for things you KNOW that are not a issue. also when you set your ram settings declock the CPU back to its standard 3.3ghz and then prime95 it for 12hours if it doesn't have problems you can rule out the options you have just placed in (for now).

Once you have done that, add abit of juice to your pc to go towards 4.2ghz - I use 1.310 voltage in BIOS with a 75% Vdroop and a CPU over-protection of 140%. Prime95 it again and see if it stays stable. Now this is where i helped myself and i simply went back to BIOS and boosted the CPU Multi to x48 and left the voltages at 1.310 and ran the PC while watching temps and saw how fast it crashed and what type of 'C i was getting, this way you can know that it is either: voltages to the CPU or the VRM that needs adjustments.

Simple: Proccess of elimination - the thread i linked you is a hella to get your head around, I don't even fully understand it but after some tinkering and ensuring i keep settings at a certian value and do certian things i can rule out possibilitys that area of my PC was faulty and causing the fault.

P.S: I will say do NOT use offset as it overshoots on the voltages when you are fully loading the CPU it is a nightmare to control. It is a brilliant feature but best used when you are not stressing the PC 100% of the time and you like a low voltage because for example: you leave it idle for several hours a day, but it can overshoot to something like 1.5v when you are fully loaded because you are no longer in control of the Vcore Voltages, setting a fixed voltage will get you better overall temps.

Report your findings back here after you have done this.
PC Specs: Intel 2500k - 4.6GHZ (Overclocked) 7 Stepping CPU.
Corsair Vengance 16GB 4GB Kit @ 1600MHZ 9/9/9/24/2 - now overclocked: 1866 9/10/9/27/2- ATI 6850 GFX - (OC 855mhz/1165) -
Maximus Gene Z/Gen 3 3305 BIOS, Voltages: Ram 1.6 - CPU 1.360 / 75% Vdroop. VCCISO 1.1500.
Antec 300 Case - Sata II 5400 RPM 500GB Master HDD.

RoG Member! And Proud!

Lilkka

HiVizMan
Level 40
It is also a good idea to spend some time having a read of the very good guides that have been sticky'd in the Maximus section. I know your board is slightly different from the ones that are used but the principles are exactly the same and the bios are so close that you do not need to even care.

It seems you are in good hands and I shall stop by to read and help out if needed. Do not think that will be required even though I am not in complete agreement with the offset view. But that is for another thread to discuss. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

i appreciate your clear and thorough feed back. yes mate, i speak english even though i am in america. It seems I have some homework to do. I'll stick to manual volts for now. Dont know why the ai tuner also increased my iGPU volt settings. I dont know what an USB pen is, but I do have a camera phone. Will get some pix up later this week because I am a working joe and have paternal responsibilities as well weighing on me this weekend. Right now the board is out of its case sitting on my desk. I wanted to address the cooling issue and eliminate it as a variable so i took everything out into the open. Ambient temps 65 degrees fahrenheit.. The results are still the same. 4.6 ghz at 1.35 volts - all turbos are 46 but i have read a lot of threads where they stager them 45 to 48 as the number of cores decreases. Still dont know how to set load line calibration or where that is on this board- i'd like to address the vdroop because i noticed that intel burn fails on the 7th to 8th loop when the volts dip down to 1.288 on cpu-z while doing a run. Temps still go to low 80s-high 70s. If the Noctua is cool to the touch, i dont know that adding a third fan will help. Especially since I am seeing the same behavior with the mobo out in the open as compared to when it was in the case. I had a positive pressure setup with 4 fans pumping air into the case and one evacuating.

As for the ram testing, I've been working on the cpu first-I am running the ram at recommended timings but under clocked - 1866 (932 as reported in the bios since this is dual channel) Stock is 2400. VDimm is 1.65. This is to remove the ram from the equation as well. I did memtest overnight it when i first installed it - for that i ran it at 2400 and the cpu at stock settings. But i can certainly follow your instructions if you think the ram needs to be vetted further. Thanks and will update later this week with bios pix. Certainly you dont want ALL the bios screens?