cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula potentially dead

Wattflame
Level 7
My build is currently experiencing some issues, the machine won't boot. I've narrowed down the issue to either my mobo or my cpu (Phenom x II six core black edition) the computer turns on and the bios beeps are one long followed by two short. I have a friend looking into it for me aswell, but it looks like it's my mobo or my cpu, also the problem is not my ram, which is what that bios code is supposed to mean, the cpu heatsink has been running extremely hot, and the socket has been running equally as hot we reseated and breadboarded the system to no avail, I've had the build running for a year, so nothing was doa or defective all I really need to know is if it's my cpu or my mobo, ask for more details if you need em and thanks for your time, I'll check on this thread in a few hours.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey buddy sorry to hear about your board/cpu not working.

Easy way to check which is at fault - pull your CPU and get hold of a mate with a board that supports your CPU and test it. At the same time test out his CPU in your board.

But what is the error that the board is telling you to look to the ram. You mean the beep code?

I would actually have a test of your ram and see how that goes. What you can do as a very basic test is remove the ram from your board completely and see if there is any difference in the beep code you are hearing. Might also be a good idea to test your ram on a mates board. Run Memtest on each of the sticks. Better to remove that variable from the mix.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did mean the beep code, sorry just now getting into computers also my buddy checked out my ram, it's indeed busted. I'm heading out to MicroTech with him and another buddy of mine to replace it, I'm still worried about the hot socket, but I'll probably pick up a new watercooler while I'm there for good measure, I'll post again tommorow, hopefully from my revived desktop! cheers 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Outstanding and I am sorry that I was correct about the ram. 😞

But still ram is a lot cheaper than a CPU or motherboard eh? 😛
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Outstanding and I am sorry that I was correct about the ram. 😞

But still ram is a lot cheaper than a CPU or motherboard eh? 😛

You got that right HiViz.

Make sure you remove the old thermal paste from that cpu and use a good brand to replace it when you install that watercooler.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

So I've replaced the RAM, had to downgrade for now but RMA'ing my old sticks. I'm having a different error now, but one problem down eh? also on the up and up my EVGA 570 FTW is alive and overclocking beautifully, and that's my most expensive piece. I'll update again after my pal and I check out the error. Also, there was no post beep but also no beep code, if anyone can let me know what that could mean, I'll give you a cookie in the next life.