Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Maximus iv Extreme P67 video problem since Ivy Bridge upgrade

Hello all,

I spent the past three days on the phone with a number of ASUS tech guys and still no answer. I hope someone here can help. Here's my problem and current specs:

Asus - Maximus iv extreme P67- lga 1155
    Intel i7 3770k
    16Gb Corsair Vengence 1600 - Gskill cooler
    PNY XLR8 VCGGTX580XPB-LC-CPU GeForce GTX 580
    3 - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK - Intel RAID 0
    1 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB - backup drive
    Corsair 1050HX Psu

Had an i5 2500 in my Maximus iv Extreme P67 board and it worked flawlessly. I then decided to upgrade to the new 3770k. I updated the bios to 3208 and updated the chipset driver. I also updated the nvidia graphics driver to the newest one. After installing the new cpu the screen would go black after the windows splash screen and stay black. Sometimes when it started it would go to the desktop but when I open an application it would cut out to a black screen for a two secons then come back. A box will pop up in the bottom right corner saying "your display driver was inturrupted, kernal something or other". I had 32 Gb of ram and removed 16 Gb of it and the computer worked better for about two days. Then while playing Call of Duty, the screen froze and I got an error message saying "the nvidia opengl driver lost communication with the display driver due to exceeding the windows time-out limit and is unusable to continue. The application must close. Error code 7."

So far the ASUS tech guys had me remove the cmos battery for 5 minutes and reinstall it....didn't do anything. I downgraded to 16 Gb of ram and things seemed to be a little better, but still having the problems less frequently. The last tech guy I spoke to said that it might be an igpu conflict and I should disable it in bios. I looked but can't seem to figure out how to do that. Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

ROG Enthusiast Array

lol you have a p67 motherboard and the tech guy it talking about igpu? I though the p67 does not support igpu by definition. I had a similar problem with my gtx 470 and my old p8p67. The driver kept stopping and I also had black screens. It turned out to be the fan of my graphics card. The casing of my custom cooling came loose and blocked the fan which stopped spinning, resulting to black screens and driver stopping.

New ROGer Array

This is one of those cpu/video card all in one liquid cooled ones from PNY...no fans that I can see. I do have an old 8800 Gts lying around....u think I should throw that in and see if it still happens? one thing though, if I unplug the gtx 580, will it still cool the cpu even though it's not plugged it?

ROG Enthusiast Array

do you have a water loop?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Please post an image of your cooling solution as I am now very confused as to what setup you are running.

The problem seems to be with the graphic drivers however - and as you said you did update them at the same time. Quick question did you do a full driver clean before installing the new drivers?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

New ROGer Array

Yes, the product advertising says closed loop, the water goes from the radiator to the cpu cooler to the video card and back to the radiator.

Yes, I uninstalled the driver before installing the new one. Also tried many different older ones. All gave the same problem. Called PNY tech support and they were useless. They swore up and down that it's not their product that's bad. They said it had to be a cpu or mb issue.

The thing that get's me is that I never had a single problem when I had the I5 2500 in there and both processors aren't all that much different in the way they work.
    Last edited by TheMustangMan; 05-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

No that much is true.

Lets take this in small steps.

Go into BIOS and let us reset to default settings.

F5 enter

Then change your SATA if you are running RAID otherwise leave all at stock.

F10 to boot.

Now the system is at defaults and nothing but what is on the OS is in play.

Does your VGA still have problems?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

New ROGer Array

Bad behaviour to start one's first forum post with slight thread necromany, but I'd really be interested if someone helped the thread opener (via PM or so) since I am experiencing the very similar (same?) symptoms and would like to check for the possibility of the same rootcause.

CPU: Ivy Bridge i7-3770K, Cooler: Mugen3/PCGH
    Mainboard: Maximus 4 Extreme, P67 Rev.B3, BIOS 3208 flashed via USB/ROG (twice, ME has been updated)
    BIOS Settings: default, except for SATA in RAID mode
    RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black, 1600MHz CL10
    VGA: EVGA GTX570HD Superclocked
    Storage: 2x Intel 520 Series SSDs, RAID-1 attached to the SATA-6GB ports
    PSU: Silverstone ST-1200 (=> not a lack of juice issue (probably))
    Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02B (=> not a lack of air issue (probably))

Completely fresh Win7 installation. Applied the latest important drivers (Chipset, Sound, Ethernet).

The system works with the Standard VGA driver. If I install accelerated nVidia drivers (tried a few upwards of 285.62, 296.10 and 301.42. All WHQL, no beta), the system boots and I see the 'Windows is starting' animation which is still run unaccelerated. Once the accelerated driver takes over, the display switches off, no input signal any more.
    The computer is still running, I can log in via remote desktop and the system itself works, apart from the fact that it's headless which is kind of not ideal for a desktop.
    The device manager shows that the graphics adapter was disabled due to an error (code 43).

I have two of those graphics cards, both show the exact same behaviour. Both work without any noticeable problem in my old mainbord (ASUS P5K-SE, Core2Quad Q8400). Not at the same time though, obviously. I did not yet try both of them together in the M4E, I'd like to get the single card setup running prior to switching to SLI.

Anyone seen such behaviour before? And can provide pointers towards a resolution? Any input appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Miolnir; 06-18-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Typo

ROG Enthusiast Array Steven_belfast's Avatar

Code 43
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
    Recommended resolution

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner.

If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about diagnosing the problem.

I would grab a linux live cd, if this runs ok.
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | Intel 2600K | Corsair Hydro H100i GTX |
    | XFX Radeon R9 290X Black Edition | G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB |
    | Corsair Force Series 3 120GB | Corsair Obsidian 800D (6GB/s) |
    | Corsair Professional Series AX1200 |

New ROGer Array

In an interesting turn of events, it works now after installing both GTX570, which switches the PCI-E slots to x8 mode.

Considering the SLI setup was the intended outcome, an unsatisfying solution, but one that works. At last.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast