cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rog'er

hazard99
Level 7
Hi there and thanks for having me on the rog forums.

I will be picking up a rog g73sw unit this coming monday.

I have a few questions after looking over the rog forums that I hope someone maybe able to answer.

First and for most the unit I am buying is second hand one owner. It is about a year old purchased from amazon.The owner says that he has reciepts from amazon for the unit and all upgrades. I am trying to find solid concrete information on the warranty of the unit. from what I been reading It should still have about 1 year left on its warranty.

Now I know most wouldnt recommend buying a unit second hand but I wanted the most powerful unit I could get for sub 1k.

The owner has upgraded to 16gb( no Idea how ill use this properly and also added a momentus xt 500 hybrid drive.

my last question has to do with the video card. It has a gtx 460m graphics card which I understand is a pretty decent card. Ihavent been a hardcore gamer because my intel hd 3000 barely supports World of warcraft. Will light overlocking bring the 460m into 560m range.

Also as embarrassing as this is to admit Id like to know if anyone here uses second life in anyway shape or form. That is what the primary use of this computer will be.

Thank you and I look forward to any and all info.

P.s The site's moderators are really awesome I've already learned to contact a few important people should I run into trouble.
17 REPLIES 17

Holy
Level 7
Well welcome to the rog forums. Yes you should beable to Overclovk the 460m to the equivelence of a 560m.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

thank you for the warm welcome.

Is the freq difference worth the added wear and tear on the gpu?

Thank you xeromist,

You one of the many famous moderators with such a great attitude.
I am glad to know that I will have atleast 1 year to make sure the kinks and bugs are removed before I lose the warranty. During this final year is it possible to purchase and extended warranty. I think it will be worth every penny if at all possible.

Oddly Second life has some demands that I think modern games do not have. As I understand it second life does not have poor optimization there for cards that may run one game may not run second life to well.

Case in point, in all my research they advised everyone to stay away from amd graphics cards do to poor coding while using open gl.

Apparently nvidia does a better job working with open gl? This could be rather old information. Its what I have found during search across the web.

xeromist
They have a 2 year warranty so if the owner is going to work with you and isn't lying then you should be in good shape. My understanding of SL is that it is less demanding than many of the games that people play on these machines so you should be OK.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
In recent years AMD has improved open GL rendering performance but in the past they have been behind. Never having played the game myself I wouldn't know about the individual idiosyncrasies on certain hardware so I can only speculate relative to other games of its age.

There is no extended warranty through ASUS but I would advise looking into Square Trade. Their warranties offer repair or replacement up to the purchase amount. Just be sure that you get your receipt on file with them as soon as you get your item so that if you lose your copy you can still collect on the warranty if need be in the future.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Square trade, got it.

Now hopefully there are some other fine members on this forum that may have tried to run second life.

Xeromist you have been most helpful.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome to ROG.
Get it. Load it. Go from there.

Tweak'n the Rig is part of the Game. Best of Luck.c.

hazard99
Level 7
what review is this ?

Don't bother with overclocking, as the difference between the 460M and 560M is only 10-15%. That number also depends on which variant of each you are comparing. The 460M, as I recall, ran a 192-bit bus, which is actually faster than the 128-bit bus in the 560M in the G53SX. No worries, the 460M is still a great card!
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23