cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power button problems

yulaw2k
Level 7
I have had my g53 for about 5 months no. No problems except for left speaker has never worked right, high pitch screeching sounds when i play sound..... epically annoying... but not annoying enough for me to send it for warrenty after reading all the horror stores. Tried to send it to my 3 year warrenty i bought i amazon but they keep telling me to send it to asus.....

ANYWAYS not the problem.... Problem is now just started about 2 weeks ago and seems to be getting worse. At first it took one or two clicks to turn on my laptop. Today as it has been getting worse it took 24 clicks before i magically turned on....

Another problem is when i hibernate my laptop the monitor never turns back on.... i usually have to restarted it once or twice to get the monitor to turn back on.....

But again the main problem im worried about is the power button...
6 REPLIES 6

dstrakele
Level 14
1) When I press the Power button on my G74SX, the Power icon on the button is illuminated and then Windows starts up. Does the Power icon remain dark on your failed startup attempts OR is it illuminated and Windows just fails to start?

2) If you connect an external monitor or LCD TV to your laptop, does any video appear on it (even only a flashing cursor on a black screen) during a failed startup OR a failed Resume from sleep?

3) If you wait 5 minutes after a failled Resume from sleep leaves you with a black screen, doess pressing Fn-F7 restore video?

4) What version video driver are you currently running?

5) If you go to "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", right-click on "ATK Package" and choose "Repair" from the popup menu, does it resolve either your Power button issue or "black screen on Resume from sleep" issue?

6) If you perform an ASUS Factory Restore (press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and choose to restore Windows to the 1st partition - what they will likely do at the ASUS Service Center), does it resolve your issues?

I think your Power button issue and speaker issue are most likely hardware problems. You may need to bite the bullet and RMA your laptop to ASUS for warranty repair.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
The power button is on a separate little PCB that's mounted on the top cover and connected to the M/B via cable. So if there's a problem with it, there are a number of possibilities.....the button itself is failing or physically obstructed, the PCB board is defective, or the FFC to the M/B is loose on one end or the other.

Obviously, if the board is just defective, it needs to be replaced. The other two possibilities.....gunk (dust, pet hair, etc.) in the button or a loose cable connection.....can be checked and probably fixed if you are comfortable with a little disassembly. It would basically require top cover removal, not total disassembly. I'm sure there must be YouTube videos that can guide you through this.

Im at school right now so i cant try all those things.

But i can tell you that when the power button is flashing when my computer is asleep or off or whatever..... the computer turns on right away when pressed.

But when the button is not flashing, and emits zero light that is when i have to power button problem

dstrakele
Level 14
When the Power button is flashing, the computer is in Sleep mode. A memory snapshot of laptop is stored in RAM and kept alive by battery or A/C power. This memory image is read to startup Windows in the exact state it was in when it was put to Sleep.

By default, Windows will enter Hibernation mode after a period of time or when a Critical battery level is reached. The memory snapshot, used to start up Windows, is written to a file on the disk and power is shut off. The Power button will no longer flash, just like on a complete shutdown.

Do you have Power button problems only on Resume from hibernation or also when restarting your laptop when it is completely shut down - NOT Sleeping or Hibernating? If your Power button issue occurs ONLY on Resume from Hibernation, it is likely a software issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

It only happens when the computer is completely shut down. Just now i spent about 60 seconds pressing the button.... i almost gave up hope....
When the button is flashing it seems to work 100% of the time bam turns right on.

yulaw2k wrote:
It only happens when the computer is completely shut down. Just now i spent about 60 seconds pressing the button.... i almost gave up hope....
When the button is flashing it seems to work 100% of the time bam turns right on.

So is it safe to say that this is really a "waking from hibernation" issue, rather than a problem with the power button?