cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airvents in G74SX

Dylyck
Level 7
Hi!

There has been one thing bothering me with my Asus G74SX laptop. It seems that the right side of the airvents blows hot air. The left airvent just does not do this, it just keeps cool. Now I need to ask, if this is normal and is the left airvent sucking cool air? I heard somewhere, that both airvents should blow hot air, but I not agree in this case.

Thank you some much in advance! 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi and Welcome to the ROG community @Dylyck 🙂

The fan intakes are under the screen so the left side doesn't sucking cool air 😛
(To the left is the CPU and to the right GPU if I'm not wrong)

When you are checking this, is the notebook at idle usage or under heavy gaming ?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Hi!

I have tried this under heavy gaming with skyrim. It seems, that the right side of airvents blows really hard hot air, but the left one seems to do nothing at all. The left side is only really cool and not warm at all, so that makes me wonder if everything is OK? I do not know anyone else who has this same laptop, so I could try if his/her laptop does the same thing. Anyway, every help is appreciated! 🙂

dstrakele
Level 14
If you shine a flashlight at the left side fan exhaust of a G74SX, you'll see only the right 1/4 of the vent is actually an opening to the radiator. The left 3/4 of this exhaust "vent" is actually striated plastic designed to look like a radiator.
This is purely to make the exhaust vents look symmetrical.

In reality, both CPU and GPU fans direct heated airflow to a single radiator offset to the right side of the laptop. This is to minimize weight and cost of the cooling system while retaining efficiency.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
If you shine a flashlight at the left side fan exhaust of a G74SX, you'll see only the right 1/4 of the vent is actually an opening to the radiator. The left 3/4 of this exhaust "vent" is actually striated plastic designed to look like a radiator.
This is purely to make the exhaust vents look symmetrical.

In reality, both CPU and GPU fans direct heated airflow to a single radiator offset to the right side of the laptop. This is to minimize weight and cost of the cooling system while retaining efficiency.

I didn't know that, great info there. So far the only complaint I really have (other than no numlock) is the air intakes are a real b%$ch to clean. I've been using canned air to blow the dust off & a vacuum on the vents on the back.

Agreed; cleaning/clearing them is a chore, as one either has to blow air into the intake while simultaneously sucking with a vacuum through the outtakes, or sticking in the thin red straw on an air can nozzle into the back and shooting out the fins individually. Not easy. Best thing I ever did was save the single sheet of cloth that the G74 came with between its screen and the keyboard: I push it as far back as it will go towards the rear, and then it covers the intakes. My G74 is closed 2/3 of the time (when its docked at home) and so the cloth is a pre-filter for the air being pulled into the intakes. It has saved me some cleaning grief.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Agreed; cleaning/clearing them is a chore, as one either has to blow air into the intake while simultaneously sucking with a vacuum through the outtakes, or sticking in the thin red straw on an air can nozzle into the back and shooting out the fins individually. Not easy. Best thing I ever did was save the single sheet of cloth that the G74 came with between its screen and the keyboard: I push it as far back as it will go towards the rear, and then it covers the intakes. My G74 is closed 2/3 of the time (when its docked at home) and so the cloth is a pre-filter for the air being pulled into the intakes. It has saved me some cleaning grief.

That's a really good idea about the cloth/paper thing that shipped with our laptops. Wish I would've thought of that and not thrown my out... Although I suppose there's something around the house I could use.