cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gonna buy G74SX but have a few questions...

antisocialbratt
Level 8
I'm looking to buy G74sx 3DE for my college later this month. But i have a few questions :

1) Are the issues regarding Keyboard and mouse have been solved? I've seen forums full of people complaining about that.
2) How good is the 3D in gaming and movies?
3) Is the cooling good enough for very long continuous usage? (>10 hours :p)
4) Does the paint on the keys wears off after a few months? I had a razer lycosa with backlit keys but the paint on the keys wore off after just 12 months 😞

Before anyone suggest to buy G75 i should let you know that this is the only model available in my country. http://in.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
I'm getting this model for $2115. Is that a right price for those specifications?

P.S: Excuse my language cuz I'm not a native English speaker.
62 REPLIES 62

PILGRIM
Level 11
Hi there. Good choice for a G Series notebook (I have the same model).

1) No problem with mine for the keyboard (ATK Package 1.0.0014 version)
and touchpad (Sentelic Touchpad 9.1.7.7).

2) It's great for gaming and movies. Will experience a few drops in FPS while gaming
in 3D mode, but it's still great.

3) The longest I played Skyrim is around 5 hours and it goes a little warm after ( think it's normal).

4) I've had it since October of last year, been using it daily, but the WASD and arrow keys
still looks relatively new.

P.S. Your writing is just fine. I'm not a native English speaker, either.
But I'm not too conscious about it. 😉
ASUS G74SX-3DE

antisocialbratt wrote:

I'm getting this model for $2115. Is that a right price for those specifications?

You didn't say where you are, but that does seem kind of high to me. However, I know that they are just more expensive in some countries.

P.S: Excuse my language cuz I'm not a native English speaker.
P.S. Your writing is just fine. I'm not a native English speaker, either.
But I'm not too conscious about it. 😉

I never would have known, PILGRIM! Your written English is better than most Americans, methinks!

Yours is fine, too, @antisocialbrat. 🙂 And I concur on all PILGRIM's responses about the G74. I would add this: The known issues are probably rare, but when they happen to you, it is a real pain-in-the-butt. So you want to make sure that you buy from a retailer that ensures full warranty coverage in your location.

BrodyBoy wrote:
...I never would have known, PILGRIM! Your written English is better than most Americans, methinks!...

Thanks, Brody.:D
Have been learning and speaking English (plus 4 minor languages) since primary grades..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm in India thus G74Sx is a little bit more expensive. I called a local Asus dealer and he told me that G74SX is out of stock at the moment but it will be back in stock within 2 weeks. He told me that price would be 200 to 250$ more than earlier. When i asked the reason then he said that Asus is refreshing the lineup, the new G74SX would have GT580M in it. I'm a bit skeptical about his claim. Cuz i googled and couldn't find any link which corroborates with his claim.
Can any Asus rep here shed some light on this situation?
Cuz i find this highly unlikely that Asus would refresh G74sx first in India before any other country.

P.S: Sorry for being offline for last few days. Opera flinged up big time. I was unable to log in using opera. I thought there is some problem with the account so i tried to reset it and still it didnt work. I even contacted the admin. Gotta say that Richard is a really patient and helpful guy. Kudos to him for all the help. Although he couldn't figure out what was the problem.
Today i just tried in Firefox and it worked. 😄

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

The keyboard issue I know about on the G74 is the numlock key. Instead of activate the numeric pad it opens up the calculator 😛

I find the 3D pretty good on the G73SW 🙂 But I don't have a blu ray drive so I cant watch movies in 3D unless I buy a new optical drive.

I'm love the cooling on the G73 and sometimes when I'm playing it could get a little noise but that I don't care about since it almost quiet all the time. So I will assume that the G74 might have a little better cooling system than G73.

And the paint on the keys are still fine on my keyboard after almost a year of usage 😛

Not sure where you live, but the notebook you linked to looks good spec'ed 🙂

But wont the G75 come to your country since you say the G74 is the only model there?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

antisocialbratt
Level 8
I've decided to buy it. Although i have to wait till the end of this month when I'll get the cash from dad 😉
Lets hope local retailer would have it in stock by then.
I plan to do a clean install. I've read a lot of threads on this forum and from what i understand, Broadyboy is the go-to guy for any help in this regard. Gonna flood him with Pm's once i buy it 😛

Better make a thread, the rest of us would appreciate having access to his advice. Don't be expert hog ;). I had someone contact me about temperatures on the G53's, and we ended up making a thread out of it so that everyone can access the info.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Ok Keyboard has issues with the A,3 and left on the direction key (wont work if you hit the top half of the key). This sucks for gaming as WASD becomes WSD or as I like to call it "I CANT TURN F****** LEFT" syndrome. Oh and you spend half your time
retyping out emails and card details.

I also get the calculator not the number lock. and the touch pad will kick when if feels like it. (even if disabled)

3D first remove the trial virus protection as its slows down 3D video.

As for 3D gaming I have mixed feeling I brought this because it had 3d and DX11 but really you cant have both. most games other than say portal 2, Fall out 3, bulletstorm and maybe batman AA (some new-ish games I got) you can run at full tilt with 3D on. But its hard to get anything that runs DX11 to run 3d well, its ether one or the other.

I.E Batman AC (with both updates) and just cause 2 (I know its not DX!! but its a high spec game) you got to play with the settings to get them to run smoothly. the 560m just doesn't cut.

but really you don't use the 3d that much. its nice at first but I rarely use it as I prefer higher graphics.

Heating not bad, never felt that hot. FYI the air intakes are under the screen so hard to clean.

One last thing the speakers are not great anyway its supposed to be THX but the worst set I've had on a laptop. This is the second G74sx I've had, the first one left speaker went within 10 days. so the company in NZ replaced it. The new one is missing a rubber foot on the battery.

this is a NZ$3500 laptop and I felt a bit let down, seeing it was one of the most expensive laptop in NZ off the shelf.

antisocialbratt
Level 8
I'll definitely make a thread once i manage to set up the system. I know it will probably take one day for me to get everything perfect. Clean install of windows > Installing drivers > Installing useful softwares > Making Recovery Disks > Installing games(I've a big backlog to finish: Alan Wake,Dead space 2, LA Noire, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Batman Arkham City and a lot more 🐵