cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RoG, Issues with XMP

Goforthz28
Level 7
Hey Guys,
I just got my Rog System running and this is poste #1, so ill start with specs...

Rampage IV Formula bios 1305
i7-3930K
Corsair H100
GSKILL F3-19200CL11Q 16GBZHD (4x4GB) 2400MHz
(2) PNY GTX 560 Ti SLi
MSI 450 GTS dedicated PhysX
(2) Samsung 830 128GBs Raid 0
OCZ 1250W PSU
Win7 Pro 64bit

So my prob: I cant get my RAM to hit factory XMP settings. It is in the QVL for Asus as 1 DIMM and 2 DIMM, but not 4 DIMM which is funny since that model number is the (4x4gb). however GSkill gives it the thumbs up. I have followed Gskills XMP instructions including Ai OC Tuner to XMP, DRAM Timing Control > Rampage Tweak to Mode 1, and manually set CPU VCCSA voltage to 1.25v.

Upon saving setting and reset, the machine wont post. Just black screen and fans whirring. At reset, i get the Overclocking Failed spiel. Both XMP Profiles have the same results...

If i manually set the DRAM frequency to 2133Mhz with the XMP profile, the OS boots and all is stable (hours of Skyrim), until the next boot. Then boot fails after post with the "System unstable. Your CPU ratio may be down at 12x due to unsuitable conditions. Press F1...." which i find odd.

Appreciate any insight and opinions guys!

Thanks a bunch, ~Mark
7 REPLIES 7

Goforthz28
Level 7
Oh ya, I have also tested Memory pairing via cycling different pair combos and single DIMMs around on board to see if any one or any combo would boot with XMP, no avail.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Could you please set the following.

Gskills XMP instructions including Ai OC Tuner to XMP, DRAM Timing Control > Rampage Tweak to Mode 2, and manually set CPU VCCSA voltage to 1.25v

Also check your voltages for the ram, at least 1.65 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Necrosan
Level 12
I would try setting all parameters regarding RAM speed & voltages manually if you have further issues after following HiViz's post.
Lots of folks seem to have issues using the XMP settings it seems with this particular board.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Ok, i went thru and tried your suggestion HiViz and it yielded the same results with Rampage Tweak at Mode 2. Then i went through and recorded the XMP settings and and gave that a whirl. I manually input : Dram freq at 2400, VCCSA voltage at 1.25v, Dram voltages both at 1.65V, Rampage Tweak on Mode 1, and manually input Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Timings.

Ran it, same results.

Tried all combos of Clock Gen at 10uF and 20uF with Rampage Tweak at Mode 1 and Mode 2. all of this on an F5d bios.

Same no Post result.

Thanks again for the help fellas.

~Mark

HiVizMan
Level 40
Funny thing is my Formula clocks ram better than the RIVE I have and I am talking with the same CPU.

You might not like what I am about to suggest but if you look around the forum you will see I tell it like it is and never bull**** anyone.

Maybe, just maybe your CPU (IMC) is not up to the task. I have one CPU that is a real dog of a IMC and I have had to lower my frequency of the ram I am using to manage it.

One last thing you can do is increase the dram voltage when you do the settings manually to two or three notches higher. With the X79 chipset you can actually go right up to 1.85 on the ram on the intel spec sheet. Not suggestion we get anywhere near that mind - 1.68 - 1.70 range to see if we can boot into OS with the sticks at the XMP profile.

VCCIO can be upped to 1.15 please as well.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Sounds like your chip doesn't like 2400 memory. It is not guaranteed to hit 2400 😞 Mine will only do 2300 stable and 2350ish semi-stable (can benchmark but not 100% stable). Some chips will not run 2400 regardless of settings.

For example I can run 2300 with these settings:
vcore 1.416 under load
1.15 vtt
1.15 vccsa
1.75 pll
RAM @ 9-11-10-28-1t 1.665v
and with that setup I can push secondary and tertiary timings significantly past what XMP puts them at.

I tried the following at 2400, still no boot, but it works at 2350:
1.52 vcore
1.4 vtt
1.4 vccsa
1.9 pll
RAM @ 11-13-12-36-2t
secondary and tertiary at the "Raw MHZ" settings, which are crazy loose timings.

Shoot for 2133-2200 with the tightest possible timings.

8_Pack
Level 12
The way to test if your CPU can do 2400mhz is easy. Just reset bios. leave everthing at auto. Change memory speed to 2400 and watch the post display and see where it stops. If it goes 61 62 01 or 00 It cant , if it stops at a later 6 value its close. So trim back to say DDR2390 and test again. If it passes all the 6 values your DDR needs its timings adjusting to reach the given speed.