cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-BBK5 vs ASUS G75VW-AS71 vs ASUS G75VW-DS71

Broth32
Level 7
Looking at these three G75 series Laptops - which one would you guys purchase. Obviously the ASUS G75VW-DS71 is the better of the three but $500 more than the BBK5. I'm looking for a gaming laptop that I'll be able to play games on higher setting for the next 3-5 years.

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

Cecil_2099
Level 11
The only difference between the models you are looking at are the amount of RAM, the size and speed of the HDDs, and presence/absence of Blu-Ray. All the models have the same processor and the same video card (the hardware that really impacts longevity in playing games).

The BBK5 has only 8 GB RAM (can easily upgrade to 16 GB as there are 2 empty slots); a 1TB 5400 RPM HDD (one empty HDD bay); and no Blu-Ray.

The AS71 has 16 GB RAM (no empty slots); a 750GB 7200 RPM HDD (one empty HDD bay); and no Blu-Ray.

The DS71 has 12 GB RAM (one empty slot); two 750 GB 7200 RPM HDDs; and Blu-Ray.

So purchasing either of these three options really comes down to how much money you want to spend and whether or not Blu-Ray is a deal killer for you. One isn't really better than the other because at the BBK5 price point you can easily upgrade (Install a SSD and more RAM) for about the same price as the others. Just depends if you want to do the upgrades yourself (which are easy and there's good guides here on these forums).
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Holy
Level 7
or you can conveniently have a ssd on hand lol..
btw if models are shipping with the thunderbolt port but no drivers its most likley gonna get the ds71 as its the main build from asus.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

Per MarshallR, no existing models are currently shipping with Thunderbolt hardware. It's not a lack of drivers, its straight-up no hardware controller installed in the laptops until Intel releases them.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Holy wrote:
or you can conveniently have a ssd on hand lol..
btw if models are shipping with the thunderbolt port but no drivers its most likley gonna get the ds71 as its the main build from asus.

As stated it's actually a custom logo meant to signify mDP or TB. I realize it can be confusing for the non-TB models, and it's something we have argued about internally to the designer.

For the record - all currently shipping models do not have TB and they have no TB hardware inside. At a later date we'll issue an announcement about availability of TB-enabled G75/G55s. 🙂

Holy
Level 7
Aight cool ty for the info.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II